• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Annoying internet memes

Started by haloedorchid, April 06, 2011, 12:17:55 AM

haloedorchid

The memes I find most annoying tend to be words or phrases, but all hashtags are also up there. This isn't meant to call anyone out on this board -- I can't think of anyone here abusing memes, and I've also used some myself that others may find bothersome.

Here's the worst, for me:
FTW (for the win), That's what she said, +1, stabby, does not compute

Ones I don't mind, or are wobblers:
Epic, fail, epic fail, winning!

Ones that haven't jumped the shark, but may do so very soon:
I don't think _______ means what you think it means

Any more you can think of?

Here's one:

According to my Portland sources...

(Sorry, I just can't help myself sometimes)

haloedorchid

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on April 06, 2011, 12:21:47 AM
Here's one:

According to my Portland sources...

(Sorry, I just can't help myself sometimes)
Lol. I want to know who these Portland sources are so I can meet them myself. At a well-lit, public venue, of course. Assuming they're all able to obtain four-hour passes.

haloedorchid

Quote from: Do you think it was angels? on April 08, 2011, 06:45:11 PM
Rebecca Black.  Enough already!

http://finalbossform.com/post/4450339248/a-visual-analysis-of-rebecca-blacks
I've never even heard her sing but I'm tired of seeing her face on the YouTube video clip everyone posts everywhere.

JustOneFix

Oh man, this is right up my alley. I hate text speak and I hate 'net speak'.

FTW used to mean "Fuck the world" until the basement dwellers turned it into "for the win" I much prefer the first incarnation.

"Epic" is definitely overused and it's use should be banned in all countries.

On youtube vids- it's hard to describe, but if you read some of the comments on popular vids you'll see what I'm drawing a blank on trying to describe.

"In soviet russia _____ eats you" What the hell does that even mean? Soviet Russia hasn't been around in years, so this is moot.

FML- used primarily by teeny boppers, but it's usage has increased amongst other demographics.

Along the same line, let me toss in my thoughts on Facebook-

There is this feature called 'check in' or something like that. For instance you go the Waffle House (or Huddle House depending on your area) and while you are waiting for smashed & smothered hash browns you pop on FB from your E-phone and find the location of said Waffle House  and 'check in'. What's the point of this? Do we care that you are at Waffle House?

Without running off at the keyboard about FB, check out my side project where I piss & moan about things. I don't update it often, but I will be correcting this. Halfway down the page is my FB rant. As with any ranting, not everyone will share the same views, but it could be a good read regardless!
http://thingsatrandom.blogspot.com/

Usagi

JustOneFix - So I was looking at your Random Things blog. 

Um... No, I have never in my life encountered a "hoop ride".  Where on earth do you live, Compton?!  :o

Usagi

I'm going to guess Florida, though.  Just a guess.  I used to live in Atlanta, so I suppose if I still did live there I'd see a nice Waffle House Hoop Ride or something.

I now live in the bizarro "Stuff White People Like" void known as Seattle, though.

JustOneFix

Quote from: Usagi on April 10, 2011, 03:27:01 PM
JustOneFix - So I was looking at your Random Things blog. 

Um... No, I have never in my life encountered a "hoop ride".  Where on earth do you live, Compton?!  :o

I'm in West Central Florida about 2hrs away from Disney World. You are fortunate that you haven't encountered any hoop rides! They aren't common around here, but there's enough of them to be annoying. When you pull up to a stoplight their bass is so loud it drowns out my radio and my taste in music is certainly better than music about 'smacking hoes and making dat bank'.... LOL

haloedorchid

What is FML?

And I completely agree with the Russian thing! It's so played out and lame.

Edited to add: POIDH (pics or it didn't happen).

Also, DIAF and DIAGF have been making a comeback. And that's "die in a fire", and "die in a grease fire", respectively.

Usagi

Quote from: JustOneFix on April 10, 2011, 03:39:34 PM'smacking hoes and making dat bank'

Yeah, I'm pretty sure people around here listen to that, too.  "Ironically."

JustOneFix

Quote from: haloedorchid on April 10, 2011, 03:44:26 PM
What is FML?

And I completely agree with the Russian thing! It's so played out and lame.

FML = "Fuck My Life"

Here's another internet meme that's played out- the "motivational posters"
Examples-

haloedorchid

The Facebook check-in feature is so pathetic. I agree with your thoughts on that one, JustOneFix.

Maybe people could put their phone down for a few minutes and actually enjoy the time they are spending with the people they tag in their check-in.

Facebook is one big clusterfuck of the same people posting the same things. It's like everyone carves out their own little personaes; one girl only posts pictures of her body and food dishes, one only posts about how much she loves being a mommy, one guy posts Bible verses, another (white) girl posts rap lyrics... to reference what Usagi said above.

I should just delete it but I feel guilty about losing contact with long-lost relatives.

haloedorchid

Quote from: JustOneFix on April 10, 2011, 03:51:48 PM
Here's another internet meme that's played out- the "motivational posters"
Examples-

JustOneFix

Quote from: haloedorchid on April 10, 2011, 03:57:55 PM
The Facebook check-in feature is so pathetic. I agree with your thoughts on that one, JustOneFix.

Maybe people could put their phone down for a few minutes and actually enjoy the time they are spending with the people they tag in their check-in.

Facebook is one big clusterfuck of the same people posting the same things. It's like everyone carves out their own little personaes; one girl only posts pictures of her body and food dishes, one only posts about how much she loves being a mommy, one guy posts Bible verses, another (white) girl posts rap lyrics... to reference what Usagi said above.

I should just delete it but I feel guilty about losing contact with long-lost relatives.

I've got 2 FB accounts, one personal account that I haven't posted on in months, and one I use for one of my sites. I will likely keep the personal one as it's funny to read the status updates....

On my FB this person actually 'checked in' on FB while at the hospital. As if that wasn't lame enough, when I clicked on it it showed where 400+ people did the same thing! You're having a stroke or something and all you can think of is "I better check in on FB, show everyone where I'm at!" I wouldn't want the world to know when I'm not home or where I am all the time. Be my luck someone would monitor my FB account and go clean out my house when I'm at the grocery store.

haloedorchid

The hospital check-in reminds me of people who leave cryptic messages like "OMG, was just in an accident", or "something really bad just happened", and then they don't post an update for hours. Some people just get off on the attention and the worried responses.

I have heard of people targeting people's houses when they check in elsewhere, or when they post they are going on vacation. I'm not sure if there have been documented cases of that actually happening, but even if not, I wouldn't want to be the first of that statistic.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: haloedorchid on April 10, 2011, 04:46:04 PM
...people who leave cryptic messages like "OMG, was just in an accident", or "something really bad just happened", and then they don't post an update for hours. Some people just get off on the attention and the worried responses.
people who do this should just get facial cancer.