• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Dave Schrader

Started by NowhereInTime, March 16, 2013, 06:20:57 PM

Quote from: EBE123 on August 13, 2014, 06:47:15 AM
There were no operational battleships in 1974? Right, yeah?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battleship

These are what he was talking about. Right, yeah?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoflash_bomb

He's right, I think.  The United Stated didn't have any at least.  As your article states the United States recommissioned their Iowa class battleships in the 1980s, but didn't have any operational in 1974.  World War 2 pretty much showed that Battleships were obsolete so no one built them anymore.  But, the original poster might also acknowledge that many lay people, even broadcasters, frequently refer to any large gunned vessel, such as frigates, destroyers, and cruisers, as battleships.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: EBE123 on August 13, 2014, 06:47:15 AM
There were no operational battleships in 1974? Right, yeah?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battleship

These are what he was talking about. Right, yeah?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoflash_bomb

So which battleship(s) was/were operational in 1974?  The Brits last BB was Vanguard, scrapped in the early 60s.  The USN recommissioned BBs for Vietnam, but they were back in mothballs by 1974, then recommissioned again in the 80s and 90s.  Mothballed ships are not operational.

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/ships/battleships/bb-list.asp

I'm familiar with aircraft photoflashes, but I've never heard them referred to as "bombs" in the US military.  My understanding of what Kellet was saying was the "bombs" dropped by the a/c that night drove the UFOs into the air from under the sea, as in from their explosive or concussive force.  I thought he was confusing "flashbombs" with aerial (explosive) bombs and/or depth charges. 

My point was what was dropped was used to illuminate the area, not as a weapon.  Flares are used to light an area for a longer period of time, usually for visual observation. Photoflashes provide instantaneous illumination for aerial photography. If the RAF/RN aircraft were taking photos that night, then it's possible they were indeed using photoflashes, but not as weapons as Kellet seemed to think.  Sorry if I confused you.

VtaGeezer

The "battleship" comment is one that anyone not terribly Navy-savvy might make referring to a naval ship with large guns.  There's a difference between questioning and nit-picking.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on August 13, 2014, 09:12:21 AM
He's right, I think.  The United Stated didn't have any at least.  As your article states the United States recommissioned their Iowa class battleships in the 1980s, but didn't have any operational in 1974.  World War 2 pretty much showed that Battleships were obsolete so no one built them anymore.  But, the original poster might also acknowledge that many lay people, even broadcasters, frequently refer to any large gunned vessel, such as frigates, destroyers, and cruisers, as battleships.

That's a fair point, use of "battleship" as a generic term for a warship, similar to the use of "Piper Cub" by many as I was growing up to describe any single-engine, general aviation aircraft.  "Large gunned" is a relative term, however.

Quote from: Uncle Duke on August 13, 2014, 09:37:23 AM
That's a fair point, use of "battleship" as a generic term for a warship, similar to the use of "Piper Cub" by many as I was growing up to describe any single-engine, general aviation aircraft.  "Large gunned" is a relative term, however.

Absolutely.  Or Cessna in my era.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: VtaGeezer on August 13, 2014, 09:37:21 AM
The "battleship" comment is one that anyone not terribly Navy-savvy might make referring to a naval ship with large guns.  There's a difference between questioning and nit-picking.

Nit-picking to the layman is attention, or lack thereof, to detail to the professional.  One of ufology's shortcomings has been, and continues to be, its inability to be taken seriously by the military and scientific/technical communities.  Writing off inaccuracies and an absence of due diligence in areas for which those communities set the standards as "not terribly savvy" is not the way for the field to gain their respect. 

UFO researchers need to understand the world of those whose respect they seek.  As anyone who's ever had to submit a paper or document for peer review or face a "murder board" (a real-time peer review in a room full of experts)  knows, sloppy research and/or inaccuracies are quickly identified and aggressively addressed.  It's people from this background who are labelled debunkers and skeptics by those who do not understand that's the environment those folks come from.  That level of "nitpicking" is applied to those within their professions as well as those on the outside.

The best outcome for professionals is to have those experts reviewing/critiquing their work to disagree with their conclusions without finding fault with their research and methods.  In fact that happens frequently.  Ufology should be striving for that level of respectability if it hope to be taken seriously.

Tarbaby

Quote from: Uncle Duke on August 11, 2014, 09:19:05 PM
Schrader should have more than suggested it.  The principle guest from last night, Russ Kellet, was one of the goofiest bastards I've ever heard.  He sounded like some bovver boy character from the old UK "Carry On" films.  If "They" had hand picked some nitwit to discredit ufology and one of the more intriguing UFO cases of the 70s, Kellet would be hard to beat.

Not to get into this too deeply, but once again I'm amazed at how little understanding many of the UFO "researchers" have about things military, even when such understanding is critical to the case they are investigating and the story they are trying to relate.  For example, how many times did Kellet say there were "battleships" (British, US, NASA)  in the RN flotilla involved in the Berwyn Mts incident?  There were no operational battlerships anywhere in the world in 1974, and of course NASA never had a battleship.  Flash bombs?  What does that mean?  There are flash bangs, used often to stun bad guys, particularly in hostage rescue situations.  They would be useless for illumination purposes.  There are also high intensity flares, including those dropped by a/c and fired from warships, used to illuminate a wide area at night for military purposes.  I think that's what he was referring to, but to claim more were used on that one night in 1974 in the Irish Sea than in all of WWII is unbelievably stupid.

I don't know which is more frustrating to me, the number of no talent boobs who have their own UFO/paranormal radio and TV programs or the seemingly endless number of scammers, delusional mental cases, and/or idiots they get as guests.
yes! (Applause)

gnooryblows

lol Schrader just bawled his eyes out on his own radio show talking about suicide and his suicide attempts
www.darknessradio.com
I have to say, i'd listen to schraders show over noorys any day

b_dubb

Quote from: gnooryblows on August 14, 2014, 08:27:00 PM
lol Schrader just bawled his eyes out on his own radio show talking about suicide and his suicide attempts
www.darknessradio.com
I have to say, i'd listen to schraders show over noorys any day
What's funny about that? Schrader is so much better at hosting than Noory it makes one wonder why Noory has a job

gnooryblows

Quote from: b_dubb on August 14, 2014, 08:34:42 PM
What's funny about that? Schrader is so much better at hosting than Noory it makes one wonder why Noory has a job
he is 100X better, i'd rather listen to him than anybody else but bell.

Nebraska888

Quote from: b_dubb on August 14, 2014, 08:34:42 PM
Schrader is so much better at hosting than Noory it makes one wonder why Noory has a job

AMEN!   ;)

Have I missed something.. why does Schrader repeat his Tuesday night show every week instead of having new true crime shows?

Looking forward to Schrader for two nights.

Sat night show looks like a gone one!!

paladin1991

Tonight sucks.  Dave is doing the job, but ......

Morgus

Too many bible thumper callers in this last couple hours tonight.
This guy keeps reading bible verses verbatim - Art Bell NEVER allowed that!

MTB

I'm not keen on the Bible thumpers either, but I have to give him credit for telling the caller who sees auras to visit a neurologist

Not really my area of interest, but Schrader's critical and thoughtful responses kept me listening until open lines.

ShayP

Quote from: Morgus on August 30, 2014, 02:16:27 AM

AGREED!

Noory allows same stuff.

albrecht

He did usually cut it off but then again you got the Kathleen Keating, Hal Lindsey ,Bible Code guy  etc. Good shows and lotsa of Bible. I don't mind the Bible callers. They are better than Norry.

Morgus

Multi-guest show right now with Dave Schrader hosting about time travel.

Maxwell

Quote from: Morgus on August 30, 2014, 11:32:33 PM
Multi-guest show right now with Dave Schrader hosting about time travel.
With the awesome Andrew Basiago, the most rational-sounding crazy person you'll likely ever hear.  I hope he mentions the time he saw the Supreme Court building underwater in the future, and his trip to Mars with a young Barack Obama.  Oh hell yes.

zeebo

Quote from: Maxwell on August 30, 2014, 11:43:17 PM
With the awesome Andrew Basiago, the most rational-sounding crazy person you'll likely ever hear.  ..

Damn he's one of my fave guests!  Why didn't anyone tell me he was on tonite.  I just turned it on.

Hope there's still time to catch some wild stories.  (And you're right the weird thing about him is how lucid he sounds while telling them.)

paladin1991

Not feeling it tonight.

Morgus

Quote from: zeebo on August 31, 2014, 01:35:13 AM
Damn he's one of my fave guests!  Why didn't anyone tell me he was on tonite.  I just turned it on.

Hope there's still time to catch some wild stories.  (And you're right the weird thing about him is how lucid he sounds while telling them.)
Andrew was only on for the first hour or so, might catch that on the replay.

This last hour, Dave is opening the "Time Traveler Line" for callers.
Reminds me of those classic Art Bell Time Traveler lines in the 1990s.
Norry NEVER has good lines like that, he has stupid ones like "your scariest story" or some other junk...

paladin1991

I'll see if I can hang a little longer.  Time Travelers.

zeebo

Quote from: Morgus on August 31, 2014, 01:59:34 AM
Andrew was only on for the first hour or so, might catch that on the replay.

This last hour, Dave is opening the "Time Traveler Line" for callers....

Thanks Morg I'll try and check that out if I can.  Let us know if any interesting future news comes from the TT callers.  ;)

KMKMKM

I'm not sure if George has announced anything yet, but it would be awesome if Dave got the opportunity to host Ghost to Ghost AM.  I listen to the Darkness Radio "Para-Share Mondays" every week, you can tell Dave enjoys and knows how to handle call-in ghost stories.  I'm sure he wouldn't fill entire segments with pre-recorded stories and past-guest experiences  ::)

gamma rays

They should just have Dave and Bill Birnes host more c2cs.. Dave´s show is not that bad and they get some good stories.

Quote from: gamma rays on September 02, 2014, 08:28:01 AM
They should just have Dave and Bill Birnes host more c2cs.. Dave´s show is not that bad and they get some good stories.

I think that's Premier's new marketing tag:

Coast to Coast AM, because the weekend guy's not that bad

Welcome to the forums.  Post often.