• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Is "Curse of Oak Island" totally fake or just partially fake?

Started by zeebo, November 18, 2014, 11:59:10 PM

Looking forward to some more good fakery tonight. I love this show.

VtaGeezer

It wasn't on last night on my cable carrier.  They had the idiot BF hunters on.  Is the "Oak Island" season over?  Did they run out of dead ends to run down?

Quote from: VtaGeezer on January 12, 2016, 02:39:47 PM
It wasn't on last night on my cable carrier.  They had the idiot BF hunters on.  Is the "Oak Island" season over?  Did they run out of dead ends to run down?

Oh, no. There's a new episode on tonight.  I think they find the Roman sword tonight.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: FightTheFuture on January 12, 2016, 03:01:11 PM

Oh, no. There's a new episode on tonight.  I think they find the Roman sword tonight.
I fell into a portal and thought it was already  Wednesday.

zeebo

Quote from: ziznak on January 12, 2016, 07:40:01 AM
good... i think my most recent paychecks have limited me to a couple of "cheap" drunk nights at home and I'm looking for something to make me laugh while i sip my ghetto-brew.

I'm with ya ziz ... I'll toast to that plan.

I just noticed that Fred Nolan wears a Myrtle Beach cap. Must be some clue there. 8)

Brody

The big 10x dive is complicated by communications issues almost right away. The safety diver aborts his the dive leaving the other diver alone in the shaft. Suspenseful minutes pass as the fate of the other diver is unknown. He eventually emerges and reports on the terrible visibility the murky water. A meeting is called and a new dive is planned for the next day.

The next day the divers decide that the materials they have with are not adequate for safety and the divers leave...for now...

A brief aside sees Rick digging with a metal detector.

The divers return (4 days have passed). The next dive goes off and we learn the diver made it a ways into the 27 inch hole before he connected with the long lost drill bar that is blocking the hole. There was no wiggle room and the divers have no idea if scuba diving will ever be a viable method of exploring 10x.

Back in the war room, one of the members produces the sword that has been creating a buzz online in recent weeks. They reveal the sword is Roman and was found in the 40's in the waters nearby. They joke about all the theories of who landed on the island long ago and agree to leave an open mind to the matter.

Next week they research the sword in a lab and find a diver who guarantees he'll get to the bottom of 10x. Plus more drilling.

Centurion40

I predict that they'll find Jimmy Hoffa's skeleton next season, wearing full Templar regalia.

ziznak

I downloaded and watched the latest "roman sword" episode.  I was sober.  I just got angry that the narration and almost all of the production was all done the same and probly done by the same people.

the violin playing when there's "suspense" and the narrators voice can all be found in pretty much every reality show out there... horrible horrible horrible... i should have gotten drunk first.

Papa Lazarou

Apparently the Laginas paid $10 000 for the sword. Terrible price for a door stopper, but I guess for a cliffhanger it was reasonable.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Papa Lazarou on January 15, 2016, 12:32:37 PM
Apparently the Laginas paid $10 000 for the sword. Terrible price for a door stopper, but I guess for a cliffhanger it was reasonable.
Seems there's a fued brewing over the sword and the skeptic forums are buzzing.  I manage to find to find this on ebay under  "Roman Sword Replica -completed items", though it's iron.  A lot of the earlier web images have been scrubbed.

Papa Lazarou

Yep, I actually found one of the swords in this image:

Andy White now has knowledge of seven or eight different swords, Design Toscano sword which you posted above is the one currently in production. Nobody knows who started to make these things, but AW has a hypothesis that they were originally made for 19th century tourist market.

SaucyRossy

All reality shows are fake. Not scripted in the sense that they memoriZe lines. But scripted where the producer off camera will direct the subjects and have them redo conversations after giving them notes.

Does that mean there isn't some weird shit on oak island? No, there still could be.

onan

At this point, the weirdest thing on/in/about Oak Island is the television show, which would also cover the curse.

zeebo

Quote from: ziznak on January 15, 2016, 12:03:03 PM
I downloaded and watched the latest "roman sword" episode.  I was sober...

This is not advised.  My personal style of watching is to take 2 shots of tequila pre-show, then follow up with a gulp of Dos Equis every time they mention the Templars.

Centurion40

Quote from: zeebo on January 17, 2016, 12:29:17 AM
This is not advised.  My personal style of watching is to take 2 shots of tequila pre-show, then follow up with a gulp of Dos Equis every time they mention the Templars.

Shit you must be ready for rehab!

the_peeve

Quote from: zeebo on January 17, 2016, 12:29:17 AM
Take a shot every time the narrator repeats the last three words of the last person speaking.

Treasure hunter: "It looks to be a Roman sword!"

Narrator: "A Roman sword? On Oak Island?"

Treasure hunter: "I also found a spool of thread."

Narrator: "A spool of thread? On Oak Island?"

Treasure hunter: "But it might have fell out of my pocket."

We do a shot every time there is any reference -- regardless of how vague -- to the "curse" element. Example:

Rick: Wow, I can`t believe there`s nothing at the bottom of that there hole we just spent $9,000,000 to dig.

Marty: Well, Rick, That`s Oak Island fer ya  (drink 1 shot of premium liquor)

coaster

I feel sorry for the Vagina Brothers. I don't think they knew what they were getting into when signing on with the history channel.

Rix Gins

Sorry, but I'm not buying the fact that these two brothers have the necessary smarts to have amassed millions at whatever they did before the search began.  I think they are shills for the History Channel.  Somewhat boring shills at that.  Now...if I were the producer, I'd have these brothers looking into the mystery...

the_peeve

Quote from: coaster on January 19, 2016, 02:15:02 PM
I feel sorry for the Vagina Brothers. I don't think they knew what they were getting into when signing on with the history channel.

They knew. I am sure the History Channel is paying them handsomely. I am sure they know all about the Island when they bought 75% of it. It's a wild goose chase and they and History are cashing in. Don't take these brothers as fools. This was an golden opportunity and golden egg that keeps giving and giving with every bat-crazy expert that comes up with an idea of what's buried on the island and by whom. That will exceed whatever  treasure they actually find on the island.

Brody

The Roman Sword is brought to Halifax for testing.  Off camera, the guys supposedly bought the sword for 10K, but that isn't stated on camera.

The sword is determined to be  decorative in nature and not used in battle.

The expert determines the sword is fake but leaves open a chemical testing option to determine for sure.

Another clan goes digging for eelgrass to try to find out how old the box drains are that the eelgrass supposedly was used to block. They find some and head off to have it tested.

They next talk to a diver who promises they can get into the 10x cavern. He wants to do a test run to explore the drill bar stuck in the 27 inch hole before trying a full dive.

Another theorist comes and gives his spiel. The guys go right out to try and find the mark. They find a drilled rock and evidence of ground that has been sunken in.

While drilling in the spots marked, they hit bits of wood 35 feet below. The rest is a dud and they give up.

They return to the lab to see the results of the sword tests. It's a modern piece from the last 125 years or so. Dud.

Next time...they hit a cavity underground while drilling and the diver comes in to plunge in 10x!!

ziznak

Quote from: Centurion40 on January 18, 2016, 01:08:45 PM
Shit you must be ready for rehab!
I think 2 shots of tequilla a show is a pretty fair prescription... the sips of beer are negligible but some supplementary beer inbetween shots is also sound advice.

thankyou sir zeebo your efforts have not been ignored

ItsOver

Quote from: the_peeve on January 19, 2016, 07:26:57 PM
They knew. I am sure the History Channel is paying them handsomely. I am sure they know all about the Island when they bought 75% of it. It's a wild goose chase and they and History are cashing in. Don't take these brothers as fools. This was an golden opportunity and golden egg that keeps giving and giving with every bat-crazy expert that comes up with an idea of what's buried on the island and by whom. That will exceed whatever  treasure they actually find on the island.
A modern day P.T. Barnum is running the History Channel.  What a joke.

Brody

We kick right off with the boys drilling some holes looking for "The Money Pit".

They remind us that digging to an underground void would cost millions.

They bring up a bunch of shards of wood - some black, meaning it's really old at 100 feet down.

THEY HIT A VOID. 160 feet down. 7 feet high. Then another cavity is discovered. 21 feet high.

They save the slop they force up in order to root through it with a metal detector. They find a tiny metal object that they feel is shaped like the island. This tiny spect emboldens them to dig dig dig....soon?

They bring in the granddaughter of the man who died in a shaft accident in the late 1800s. They speculate that his body was never recovered and may have been flushed into the 10x hole via flood tunnels.

They next bring in the diver who promises to be able to make it into the chamber in 10x.

They head to the war room to show the diver all the sonar and other models of 10x they have.

Only 15 mins of show left...I smell a cliffhanger into next week's season finale.

Down the hole he goes... hits the drill bar that is wedged in the shaft. His hose gets caught up on the bar and we get some tense moments as he struggles to free himself. Then makes it past.

He climbs into the chamber and we leave this week with clips of next week as the diver finds a box.....

zeebo

Brody thanks for the great summaries.  I'm all caught up now without even watching, and also saving on tequila & beer.    :D

Brody

I again noticed that the old guys Blankenship and Nolan were AWOL during this major dive effort. I find it bizarre that during several of these huge undertaking this season, they haven't been poking around to watch their lifes work be uncovered.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OakIsland/comments/2seqlr/comparing_1971_dives_down_10x_to_the_recent_dives/

Here's a good site that explains Blankenship's personal dives, the body parts he saw on camera, and other interesting stuff.

Brody

They kick start right in the chamber. The diver finds a metal pole stuck in the ground.They figure it is a drill pipe. The bottom of the chamber seems to be clay. Some random debris maybe man made. The area where the body was suppose to be is full of sinkholes and a flow of water.

He finds a rectangular opening on the side of the chamber. The sides feel like clay and the roof is crumbly. The opening is small enough that you'd have to crawl into the hole.

Back at the surface, he debunks the treasure chest as a stone. He didn't see any wooden poles the men felt they found on sonar. The body is suspected to be a illusion created from a sinkhole. He feels the hole is a natural formation. The brothers are disappointed but Rick still wants to drain 10x to prove it once and for all.

They next bring in 3 women who are related to the teenage boys who first saw the lights that started all the treasure talk. They get a tour of the island. The sisters claim that 3 chests were found by their relatives and they produce a gold cross they claim has been dated back 500 years.

Next they send a camera down the Money Pit drill hole they made last week, They see a glint of metal in several places in the void. Rick needs to convince his partners to spend millions of dollars to dig an 8 story hole to figure out what they just saw. They feel 10x has lots of sentiment to dig through before calling it a dud.

VtaGeezer

The real treasure of Oak Island is the ad revenue generated by viewers who keep coming back week after week to watch a well drilling rig, cockamamy theories from amateur "researchers", a half dozen guys traipsing around an island that's been intensely inspected for generations, and Ol' Dan calling "Crown time!".  Methinks the Lagina Bros. have found their treasure too...a TV show about digging holes that's going to three seasons.

It`s a great show. Can`t wait to see next season. It`s about the only TV show I watch, other than the restart of X Files.

P.S. The Lagina brothers aren`t making that much from the show. I doubt they pull down $15k/ep.( although, next season I suspect they`ll get a nice raise). Hardly enough to finance their treasure hunt.