• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Sustainable Dieting and Health (Naps, Diet, Exercise)

Started by Jojo, October 10, 2017, 10:16:47 PM

Jojo

Quote from: GravitySucks on June 02, 2018, 04:00:58 PM
I don’t drink coffee but I am told Starbucks makes instant coffee that tastes better than their regular and I know that it is sold In Kroger and Walmart stores here.
Good instant decaf?  Really.  I try to get it when i see it, so hard to find!

albrecht

Quote from: monica on June 02, 2018, 10:25:55 PM
Good instant decaf?  Really.  I try to get it when i see it, so hard to find!

Oh decaf. Not sure. I guess Sanka still around? Or that Mormon fake coffee? I don't mind instant. Like Nescafe. Cheap. Quick. Then I also like powdered beverages, it is so high-tech! My summer mix when out working in heat is a blend of powdered Lime Gatorade and Tang. Actually an interesting 'tropical mix' taste that actually might go well with gin or rum (have not tried, yet.) As as aside I usually go in and brush my teeth after. Tang seems to feel like a lot of sugar in it. But, as a tribute to Astronauts, I still include.

Jojo

Quote from: albrecht on June 02, 2018, 10:37:40 PM

Oh decaf. Not sure. I guess Sanka still around? Or that Mormon fake coffee? I don't mind instant. Like Nescafe. Cheap. Quick. Then I also like powdered beverages, it is so high-tech! My summer mix when out working in heat is a blend of powdered Lime Gatorade and Tang. Actually an interesting 'tropical mix' taste that actually might go well with gin or rum (have not tried, yet.) As as aside I usually go in and brush my teeth after. Tang seems to feel like a lot of sugar in it. But, as a tribute to Astronauts, I still include.
Tang is addictive!  Gatorade too. 
Bustelo makes espresso quality instant decaf. Just not in most brick and mortar stores.

Today was a good day for small portions, but not for the right reasons.  I need to remember to be careful with apples and careful skipping meals.  Even if skipping a meal doesn't create hypoglycemia, it can cause other digestive problems that just aren't worth it at all.  Terrible, to have to eat when not hungry.  But better than hours of digestive upset.

There are side effects to blood pressure medicine.  Most of them are small and no problem.  But I'll talk to my doctor about a couple, maybe make an appt tomorrow.  She doesn't have time to listen, even when I'm brief, so we already had two bad misunderstandings.

One of the side effects of amlodiprine is feelings of unreality.  Isn't that funny?  You go in for blood pressure pills and you come out psycho!  But, I'm not worried about that; it only happened a time or two, is very mild and fleeting and part of PTSD anyhow so I already am familiar with it.

Overweight people don't do as well in life as lean people usually do.  I look back and remember older people I knew when I was young, and the thin ones had almost no OTC in their house.  But the heavy ones had whole apothecaries! The lean people seemed happy and lived in the present, while the overweight people seemed depressed and lived in the past.  When I did care giving, all my very old clients were very lean, and still independent in their own homes.  I could hardly get a few of them to eat!  And the other one always stopped when she was full.  And, in retirement homes, the lean ones get around so much better and call ambulances a lot less often.

Just like my animals.  I always kept my animals on the lean side, and at times when they lost a pound or two, they gained radiance.
These thoughts affect my eating and my exercise.  No problem with naps, though, lol.

Jojo

Well, it was weird to have just half an orange during my snack.  But, they say let new habits begin.  Had to wrap the other half.

I thought I heard the older lady tell someone I had lost weight, and the stroke survivor added, "She exercises every day."  Nice to hear.  The scale hasn't moved much, but I have more muscle and lost weight in some areas.  Not the areas I am targeting, but it takes time.

30 min aerobics is done, even the floor-position ones like backward kicks and the fire hydrant.  And of course the physical therapy and chiropractic stretches, can't ever cheat on those without consequences.  The cat got her walk, which means I carried around pounds off and on for 15 minutes.  Maybe she can get her second walk in later.  We aim for two and almost always get one.  She also initiates a couple laps around the rambler when everyone is asleep - our Midnight walks.

Last night and today, she had her first experience viewing birds on a lap top.  She got into it, was reaching for the screen and paying rapt attention.  She's a smart cat; she started hunting under the table and around the sides of the laptop to try to figure out what the gimmick is.  Then she got lost in the magic again.  Last night it was an 8-hour video of birds coming to a feeding tray.  Today it was birds dancing to Michael Jackson.

She also has a set of dolls.  They are three miniature, functional pink plastic pet crates with handles.  Each has a small full miniature stuffed cat or dog in it.  She approves of her doll set, sometimes looking back at them as if to ask, "Are they still watching me?"  She likes the one with a long nose the best.  It is so cool!

I am hungry again.  Time for a meal.

Jojo

Today I found an exercise bike.  Very happy.  Not sure why but the wheel is solid steel so I'm not able to move the thing.  It will sit in the car until someone helps me.  Maybe I can take the wheel off, as the parts are simple, but I'm not sure about getting the bike chain back on.  At least the handles fold in, it is very stable, and doesn't take up much space.  It has variable speed and seat.  It even has a timer, how cute.  Like I'm gonna fall asleep, lol.

Today was a good diet day, but I only did 15 minutes' aerobics.  Oh well. 

Jackstar

I'd give out a gold star, but I don't wish anyone to get the wrong impression. Nice work. Have you ever heard of LiveJournal?

Jojo

Quote from: Jackstar on June 06, 2018, 08:07:49 PM
I'd give out a gold star, but I don't wish anyone to get the wrong impression. Nice work. Have you ever heard of LiveJournal?
Ok, JackBadgeR.  No, but I'll check it out.  I read all the blog reviews, but most blog services don't work with tablets.  I tried one, and it works intermittently on the tablet.  Doesn't work on the laptop at all, weird.  I like the anonymity here, and this system is very user friendly and reliable.  It could use a PM draft auto-save and could use GLP's search functionality (like searching within one person's post history).  But, this place runs better than a lot of others and is the best I've seen.  And, there is a moderator here.

I'll check it out bec I was working on one blogging site, but it just isn't functional.

Today was good.  I walked 40 minutes.  I rested over lunch.  I felt like walking more, and started, but my quads were tired so I did not walk aerobically after that.  The cat got her two walks - we aim for two or more, and she almost always gets at least one, usually two.  The poor cat - she's been up late watching birds on You Tube (a very new novelty here with the borrowed laptop).  Evidently, she wears herself out because she sleeps a lot on days after I leave those on.  I decided not to leave them on past 2AM anymore.  I don't want a tired cat the next day.

Food went fine.  Portions were reasonable.  I got hungry many times and did keep the protein and a little fat going.

The new couch surfer here has calmed down and seems to be tolerable, although not real clean (Gee, am I surprised).  She was recently widowed, doesn't like living alone (How do you call living in a mobile home park "living alone" but whatever).  In the past, when she was married, she and her husband lived with this family a long, long time.  One of the dogs here had been missing her, so now they are together again.

The bipolar autistic is keeping up appearances, because when Couch Surfer lived here awhile ago, she knew him here for 6 months and there was never a problem.  Now she is back, and he has been on his best behavior.  An unexpected twist.  I wonder how long that will last.  He was fine the first 6 months I knew him, too.  The police said that when he drinks alcohol he becomes a problem.

They say unemployment is at an all-time low, but of course the numbers don't include the people who are not claiming unemployment, whether they don't qualify, don't need it, or their claim ran out.  The local Employment Security Job Search Office has closed down, and the only other one is so far away that I have never even been in that town, ever.  There is a "pilot" office nearby, which I sometimes use.

Jackstar

Quote from: monica on June 07, 2018, 04:42:43 AM
The local Employment Security Job Search Office has closed down

Consider--what reasons are there, that would cause a person to not use the Internet for this task? Because that "Search Office" is open 24/7, under conditions.

Quote from: monica on June 07, 2018, 04:42:43 AM
I like the anonymity here

Nice false chioce.

Jojo

Quote from: Jackstar on June 07, 2018, 01:35:58 PM
Consider--what reasons are there, that would cause a person to not use the Internet for this task? Because that "Search Office" is open 24/7, under conditions.

Nice false chioce.
Yes, Of Course Mr. High Horse!.  Right.  But in 2017, the state has required unemployment recipients to go to an orientation.

The following comments are not complaints, and you might benefit from the information yourself:

Libraries are an option, although noisy, with high ceilings and a lot of echoing while children use adult terminals for gaming in group ways.  Our library has had syringes in restroom, two overdoses, a large man sprawled out sleeping in the stacks, an area closed after a man urinated on furniture, disruptive gangs, and truly disruptive dogs.  Management doesn't care.  However, they have scanners, copiers, flash drive ports and printers.  Some libraries, and the YWCA, have computers that are so old it is only marginally worth it.

Most libraries limit access to two sets of 50 minutes, interrupted in the middle by a reboot.  Which is okay, except applications for higher paying jobs can take longer than 50 minutes, and many, believe it or not, do not autosave.  If a person can commute all over, they might be able to get another set at another regional branch.  Sometimes libraries pilot trial longer sessions.  From 2012-2107, it was competitive, with wait times, to get a computer.

As for tablets, they have limited functions.  As for laptops, not everyone can afford to pay for firewalls and anti-virus programs.

On the plus side, if a job seeker goes to unemployment in person, there often are no Internet time limits and no noisy children gaming on adult computers.  And no gangs, although sessions might reboot every hour, potentially sacrificing a long job application if it does not have an auto-save feature.  If you bring lunch, though, you can be there all day.  And they have printers and faxes.

Another plus of going in person is that attending a short workshop is the equivalent of one job contact for purposes of claiming benefits.  For job seekers whose skills are not in demand, that can help.

Another benefit to going in person is that some employers use the bureau to pre-screen applicants.  Once an applicant has completed a quasi-job interview at the bureau, they receive a referral to the hiring organization.  In many cases, those hiring organizations do not otherwise advertise openings.  So, the bureau is the only way to get on.

The bureau does sponsor its own website for statewide job searching.  Unfortunately, they changed vendors a year ago, and the filters don't work very well.  Going in person allows seekers to complain about that (the vendor does not care), and to get customized, local help.  While a failed bureau system query is a waste of time, a local staff person in the office with bulletin boards full of local job openings can be a real asset.

Jojo

Quote from: Jackstar on June 07, 2018, 01:35:58 PM

Nice false chioce.
There is anonymity from other users here.  You can't dispute that.

Jojo

Quote from: GravitySucks on June 08, 2018, 12:03:25 AM
http://bellgab.com/index.php?action=profile;u=4587
Oh yes, the famous thread.  That was a blast when I discovered it.

And just like she outed him, I've had vulnerabilities with the bipolar Wifi Adminisrator here.  But the forum engineering does allow anonymity for those who secure their own access on their side.

Jojo

I was envious of a lady the last couple of years here who has lost weight really well.  It made me feel better to learn this week that she used surgery. 

Today I got hungry a lot.  So that was very good.  I resisted the elderly lady's mashed potatoes, bec she  removes the skin and adds cream.  Better off with a plain, salted potato.  I stopped eating when full.  That probably sounds regular to you guys, but my quantities are smaller so I even when I'm full it still feels weird to stop.  But experts say i have to allow new habits and tastes.

Jojo

Quote from: Jackstar on June 06, 2018, 08:07:49 PM
LiveJournal sample averages a very poor 12 words/minute, after my cookies etc were deleted.  That derails my train of thought, and using an outline is out of the question. 

Jackstar

Quote from: monica on June 08, 2018, 04:00:44 PM
LiveJournal sample averages a very poor 12 words/minute, after my cookies etc were deleted.  That derails my train of thought, and using an outline is out of the question.

compose in notepad.exe

bonus points: do this on an air-gapped machine

passing grade: know why

Sean92008

Quote from: monica on June 01, 2018, 12:45:54 AM
I'm sorry I asked!  Danglers, what a word.
In AbFab, Bubbles referred to them as pendulous...

Jojo

Quote from: Jackstar on June 08, 2018, 04:34:01 PM
compose in notepad.exe

bonus points: do this on an air-gapped machine

passing grade: know why
Got it.  As for air gapped, that requires hardware, right?  I don't have regular access to flash drive or disk ports.  Like how I feed my cat is that important.

Quote from: Sean92008 on June 08, 2018, 04:35:03 PM
In AbFab, Bubbles referred to them as pendulous...
What happens to the aging male organ?

Jojo

The scale moved down 2lbs.  Finally.  Maybe now that it's moving, it might continue.  It's been 4 weeks since a medical crisis got me back to solid aerobic exercise and modest portions, with only 2 cheats (mashed potatoes and 2 Klondike bars).  So, gaining muscle and losing half a pound a week.  Not very rewarding, but the best I can do.

I'd like to get that exercise bike in the house.  I need to see about detaching the steel wheel, since it looks like it might be a while before a cheerful strong arm comes to visit.

I turned off the cat's video entertainment at bedtime last night, but she still is very tired - Who ever thought bird watching could be tiring, but her pupils dilate and she loses nap time while she does it.  I wish she could be 8 again, instead of 18.

Jackstar

Composing offline is simply best practices. Some goals are best left as medium- or long-term milestones.

Quote from: monica on June 08, 2018, 07:55:32 PM
Define now.

I think--and I'm speaking for the group here, if I may--that you have more pressing concerns that ensuring your innermost, most private thoughts are not being surveiled by non-State actors. Still, who am I to judge? I am here to help. The larger advantage is that your device can run faster without handling background network tasks, and the likelihood of being distracted by IMs from your handler will be greatly diminished.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Jackstar on June 08, 2018, 08:10:17 PM
Composing offline is simply best practices. Some goals are best left as medium- or long-term milestones.

I think--and I'm speaking for the group here, if I may--that you have more pressing concerns that ensuring your innermost, most private thoughts are not being surveiled by non-State actors. Still, who am I to judge? I am here to help. The larger advantage is that your device can run faster without handling background network tasks, and the likelihood of being distracted by IMs from your handler will be greatly diminished.

Does everyone have a handler? ???