• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Soccer thread

Started by Zetaspeak, June 14, 2018, 03:16:41 PM

ShayP

Belgium for all their talent seems hollow to me.  I can't put my finger on it but I have no faith in them advancing passed the round of 16.

The Japan win was a huge surprise to me.  I know it's early but I felt that Colombia could be a sleeper and get hot as the matches go on.

I picked England in my final four even though I was wary.  There is something about their formation and tactics that is different than past versions of the club.  I think they will continue to surprise and Kane will most likely win the Golden Boot.

Russia will come down to earth for sure.  Best case they surprise and get to the final 8, but that is doubtful in my opinion.  The won't keep up this offensive pace.

ShayP

Oh!  Does anyone besides me think that the Senegal goal was bullshit?  Why did the referee allow the substitute player to come in at that time of the attack and behind the defense?  I think Poland got robbed.

Quote from: ShayP on June 19, 2018, 06:44:35 PM
Oh!  Does anyone besides me think that the Senegal goal was bullshit?  Why did the referee allow the substitute player to come in at that time of the attack and behind the defense?  I think Poland got robbed.

Just stop caring about it Shay.  It's a better way to live.............

Rix Gins

Looks like there should be a rule that sidelined injured players returning to the pitch should be allowed back on during the next available stoppage, like they do when a substitution is being made, or when a ball goes out of play.  According to the rules, a referee is 'advised' to allow the return of a player at a time where it would not favor either team.  According to the following article, the play was at a point where it wouldn't have favored anyone by allowing the Senegalese player to return but seconds later the play developed where it was a great advantage to the Senegalese players, but the ref couldn't have known what play was coming up, so he shouldn't be at fault.  I saw the goal, (but not the game) and what in heaven's name was the Poland goalie doing so far out of his box?  I've never seen a good end come from a goalie doing that.

Oh, here's that article, Shay.  It probably explains it better than I can.   :)  https://sports.yahoo.com/senegal-scores-2018-world-cups-bizarre-controversial-goal-vs-poland-video-164836351.html

ShayP

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on June 19, 2018, 07:19:54 PM

Rix Gins

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on June 19, 2018, 07:19:54 PM

I'm sorry Walks, but no.  Enjoying the wonderful excitement and magic of World Cup Soccer is a better way to live.

ShayP

Quote from: Rix Gins on June 19, 2018, 08:25:12 PM
Looks like there should be a rule that sidelined injured players returning to the pitch should be allowed back on during the next available stoppage, like they do when a substitution is being made, or when a ball goes out of play.  According to the rules, a referee is 'advised' to allow the return of a player at a time where it would not favor either team.  According to the following article, the play was at a point where it wouldn't have favored anyone by allowing the Senegalese player to return but seconds later the play developed where it was a great advantage to the Senegalese players, but the ref couldn't have known what play was coming up, so he shouldn't be at fault.  I saw the goal, (but not the game) and what in heaven's name was the Poland goalie doing so far out of his box?  I've never seen a good end come from a goalie doing that.

Oh, here's that article, Shay.  It probably explains it better than I can.   :)  https://sports.yahoo.com/senegal-scores-2018-world-cups-bizarre-controversial-goal-vs-poland-video-164836351.html

Thanks Rix!  8)  Here's what stands out most from the article...

There is no specific protocol in the relevant section of the rulebook for when a ref should or shouldn’t allow an injured player to re-enter the field.

That just seems asinine, and gives the ref an opportunity to favor one team or another.  It just seems wrong.  Anyway, I think the keeper saw the change and wanted to get to the ball before the player did.  He saw the defense didn't recognize it.  I'm not sure I blame him for that.  It was clear that there was confusion and the defense was on their heels.  It still looked like the player coming in was offsides from the start.  :-\

ShayP

Quote from: Rix Gins on June 19, 2018, 08:27:22 PM
I'm sorry Walks, but no.  Enjoying the wonderful excitement and magic of World Cup Soccer is a better way to live.

Here here!!!!   8)

To each his own boys.  To each his own.

If Liechtenstein versus Uzbekistan gets you all hot and bothered, then more power to you.

Me?  I've got shit to do.............

ShayP

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on June 19, 2018, 08:44:26 PM
To each his own boys.  To each his own.

If Liechtenstein versus Uzbekistan gets you all hot and bothered, then more power to you.

Me?  I've got shit to do.............

Yep...to each his own.

LOL!  You don't have shit to do.  If you did you wouldn't post in a thread that you don't care about. 

By the way Uzbekistan is 95 in the FIFA rankings and Liechtenstein are at 190, however they seem to be on an upswing.   :D

Quote from: ShayP on June 19, 2018, 09:20:28 PM
Yep...to each his own.

LOL!  You don't have shit to do.  If you did you wouldn't post in a thread that you don't care about. 

By the way Uzbekistan is 95 in the FIFA rankings and Liechtenstein are at 190, however they seem to be on an upswing.   :D

Busted.   I'm supposed to be helping some Chinese Chick with some work stuff she mucked up, but.................

ShayP

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on June 19, 2018, 09:22:21 PM
Busted.   I'm supposed to be helping some Chinese Chick with some work stuff she mucked up, but.................

Uhhh...okay.  I'm busted.  What crawled up your ass today?  I hope you get that shit settled and go back to the Walks I "know" and love.  LOL!

Seriously...CHEERS MAN!!!!  8)  ;)

Quote from: ShayP on June 19, 2018, 09:25:35 PM
Uhhh...okay.  I'm busted.  What crawled up your ass today?  I hope you get that shit settled and go back to the Walks I "know" and love.  LOL!

Seriously...CHEERS MAN!!!!  8)  ;)

You're not busted.  I'm busted.............. 

This lady I'n helping goes by 'Unicorn'  ::) 

ShayP

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on June 19, 2018, 09:28:14 PM

Oh jeez.

Quote from: ShayP on June 19, 2018, 09:30:06 PM
Oh jeez.

Seems to be a thing.  Usually they'll pick a typical English handle to go by: Grace, David or whatever.   
This group has lots of personality - there's a Dragon, a Unicorn and a Skyman.   

ShayP

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on June 19, 2018, 09:34:57 PM
Seems to be a thing.  Usually they'll pick a typical English handle to go by: Grace, David or whatever.   
This group has lots of personality - there's a Dragon, a Unicorn and a Skyman.

Well good luck man.  That's out of my scope, and I think I couldn't handle that shit.  "Hello, I'm Unicorn."  What!??  I really couldn't deal with it.

paladin1991

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on June 19, 2018, 09:28:14 PM

Careful WAN, she'll give you her 'horn.'

Those Trans types are a bit unstable.

Taaroa

Quote from: Rix Gins on June 19, 2018, 03:16:28 PM
Russia looks strong after a 3 to 1 drubbing of Egypt, though they were playing somewhat of a wuss team. 

I'm waiting for there to be accusations that Russia has rigged the cup or a few games in their favour.

Yorkshire pud

The latest joke doing the rounds in Germany:

Teacher asks her class what their fathers do for a living. Answers range from Plumber, cook, engineer, lorry driver etc.....all except little Jochen who sits with hands over his face hoping not to be noticed.

His teacher however does notice and asks Jochen direct

"come Jochen, aren't you going to tell us what your Daddy does?"

"Yes miss" says Jochen and taking a deep breath.

" My daddy is a go-go dancer in a gay club. He goes there at 9 in the evening and afterwards they pay him to take part in gay orgies at the club"

Silence reigns in the classroom. The teacher dismisses the class except for little Jochen and she talks to him in soft tones.
" Now Jochen - you know you made up that story. Is your Daddy's job really so embarassing for you?"

"yes miss, it is" says Jochen and tears flow from his eyes as he says

" My Daddy plays for the Germany national football team"

;)

Zetaspeak

I always have a personal soft spot for Poland, because every Polish person I ever met they were all so nice. So Viva Polska even though their soccer teams are always eliminated in group stage  :'(

Quote from: Rix Gins on June 19, 2018, 08:25:12 PM
Looks like there should be a rule that sidelined injured players returning to the pitch should be allowed back on during the next available stoppage, like they do when a substitution is being made, or when a ball goes out of play.

I've always agreed with this. Would also probably cut down with exaggerating injuries is you know you might have to wait to get back in.

I picked Portugal in my Final, but they just don't like like a complete team. Morocco had way too much of the game against them.

I don't think the fix is in for Russia (yet) but the refs sure seem not going to go against them on any 50/50 calls with Putin looking down at them .

ShayP

Quote from: Taaroa on June 20, 2018, 10:26:40 AM
Speaking of exaggerating injuries...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qShDegyMv8E

Maybe he had a bad sunburn on his shoulders.   ;D

trostol

Iran just hanging on by a thread

Rix Gins

Quote from: trostol on June 20, 2018, 01:11:00 PM
Iran just hanging on by a thread

Iran had a successful free kick to tie the game up but it was called back because one of the Iranian players was off sides.  There were a couple of good shots after that but Iran couldn't find the net.  Spain took it 1 to 0.  Spain will be playing Morocco next and that should be an easy one for them.  I like Spain's coach, Fernando Hierro.  He looks like a friendly dude... has kind of a teddy bear face.  I've seen him play in past World Cups.

Rix Gins

Separated at birth?

Luis Suárez                                             Jonathan Scott

Rix Gins

Argentina is in dire straits now, after that 3 to 0 drubbing from Croatia.  And to think that I was trying to figure out a way to make Argentina one of my four picks!  Poor Lionel Messi.  As a commentator said, "When Argentina gets the win, the entire team is responsible, but when they lose, it is always Messi's fault."

I noticed that Maradona was in the stands.  It reminded me of this video that was played four years ago when Messi had a chance to win the World Cup trophy.

https://youtu.be/6xSGB0ViYOw

Hmmm, looks like you have to click on the 'watch on YouTube' tab, underlined above to see the video.

Jackstar

Quote from: Jackstar on June 07, 2018, 10:27:37 PM
I'm just stopping in to say that I respect hockeyfootball--it's a real sport--and I respect all you guys for talking about your hobby and betting pools here, instead of shitting up the rest of the board like those Falkie cunts do. Thanks.

The same for you guys. Keep it 100.