• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

We all like to eat, right?

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, August 01, 2008, 02:44:39 PM

coaster

I consume food for fuel, but if I didnt, I'd choose anything bbq.

ShayP

Quote from: BobGrau on August 27, 2012, 03:32:02 PM
I hate to say it, but there's already a food thread.

Maybe this could be the craving thread? Right now I'm craving some uh, thai green 'salad'.

Yeah there is...I started it.  Combine the threads!!!!

I dig what Jasmine is bringing.  Like I said in my thread..."We all like to eat, right?"

ziznak

Spicy meatloaf!! My Mom used to make this "mexican meatloaf" which I know sounds horrible but to this day whenever she makes it and I'm over for dinner I try to snag all of the leftovers.  Both of my sisters have also mastered the art of making it too.  There's friggin doritos in it! lol... supposed to be any kind of tortilla but we always used doritos... ah man I'm hungry now.

Jasmine

Quote from: analog kid on August 27, 2012, 03:41:57 PM
This site.

Oh, my God, those Buffalo chicken bites...and those zucchini cakes! Ohhh!

Quote from: coaster on August 27, 2012, 03:43:54 PM
I consume food for fuel, but if I didnt, I'd choose anything bbq.

I simply ADORE BBQ ribs...and all BBQ for that matter.

Jasmine

Quote from: ziznak on August 27, 2012, 03:47:15 PM
Spicy meatloaf!! My Mom used to make this "mexican meatloaf" which I know sounds horrible but to this day whenever she makes it and I'm over for dinner I try to snag all of the leftovers.  Both of my sisters have also mastered the art of making it too.  There's friggin doritos in it! lol... supposed to be any kind of tortilla but we always used doritos... ah man I'm hungry now.

It doesn't sound horrible at all. Doritos, eh? That actually sounds delicious, ziznak. I haven't started making the meatloaf yet, and I'll ask my better half to bring home some ranch style Doritos so I can mix them up in the meatloaf. GRACIAS!

Oh, by the way, guys, here's a delicious and easy appetizer for you to enjoy. Philadelphia cream cheese and green olive slices (no pit) on a Ritz cracker (or your fav cracker). Slather the cream cheese on and add two or three green olive slices. I just love to worf these babies down, as do our guests.

ShayP

Quote from: Jasmine on August 27, 2012, 03:36:25 PM
LOL! WHAAAAAAA? DAMN! MV? Can you change the title of this thang to "Food Cravings"? LOL! God, I feel like such a dork.
I like your passion for food.  The thread I started was about what people like to eat.  Maybe they can be combined under your thread.  I like where you are coming from.  I love food too.  It's my biz.

coaster

Doritos in meatloaf sounds pretty gross to be honest lol. But moms have that weird gift where they can make meals taste entirely different than they should. Moms are awesome that way.

Jasmine

Quote from: coaster on August 27, 2012, 04:06:27 PM
Doritos in meatloaf sounds pretty gross to be honest lol. But moms have that weird gift where they can make meals taste entirely different than they should. Moms are awesome that way.

I dunno, I'd never would have considered adding them myself, but Doritos in meatloaf is intriguing me, and I'm going to try it tonight. I'll let ya know how it turns out.

ShayP, what's your food biz?

McPhallus

If your cholesterol is dangerously low (i.e., less than 1,000), try one of these:

BobGrau

Quote from: McPhallus on August 27, 2012, 04:09:29 PM
If your cholesterol is dangerously low (i.e., less than 1,000), try one of these:

Holy SHIT is that real? where can I get one? seriously.

[edit] maybe a bit more cooked in the middle though.

ShayP

Quote from: Jasmine on August 27, 2012, 04:09:15 PM
ShayP, what's your food biz?

22 years in the "industry" starting as a prep person, then line cook, and through time being anything from a Sous Chef, Kitchen Manager, General Manager, et al.  Essentially I'm just a kitchen rat who questions what he's done with his life and why his feet hurt all the time.

ShayP

Quote from: Harmness on August 26, 2012, 05:46:46 PM
Right now, the tunas (prickly pear fruits) are ripe in the lower elevations.  Everything eats the hell out of them, cows, horses, burros, javelina, deer, coyotes, everything.  Bears love them.  You'll see piles of bear shit that look like you stuffed a tube full of tunas and squeezed them out the end.  Take a stick and jam it in the end of one, skin it with a knife to get rid of the stickers and gorge yourself.  Right now my hands and lips are red.  I look like a five-year-old after a cherry snow cone.  Follow me around tomorrow, you just might think you're tracking a bear.

Prickly pear.....I had no idea it was called "tunas.'  I drink a beverage that has that in it.  I use it for inflammation and digestion.

Jasmine

Quote from: ShayP on August 27, 2012, 04:28:08 PM
22 years in the "industry" starting as a prep person, then line cook, and through time being anything from a Sous Chef, Kitchen Manager, General Manager, et al.  Essentially I'm just a kitchen rat who questions what he's done with his life and why his feet hurt all the time.

Kudos to the Kitchen Majordomo!  ;)

By the by, have you ever tried this recipe for Cioppino? Very easy, and we love it. I use sole, lobster, scallops, shrimp, crab, and orange roughy in mine.

Cioppino Recipe - San Francisco Cioppino - A Spicy Fish Stew Recipe

McPhallus

Yah, I think it's real.  Somehow, I think it could only have come from Texas. :)

Quote from: BobGrau on August 27, 2012, 04:17:23 PM

Holy SHIT is that real? where can I get one? seriously.

[edit] maybe a bit more cooked in the middle though.

Jasmine

Quote from: BobGrau on August 27, 2012, 04:20:52 PM
http://www.cheese-burger.net/stories/deep-fried-cheeseburger.html

I was raised on these.

And you're still alive to tell the tale? BobGrau, that's positively disgusting!  :o Please tell me you no longer consume this!

ShayP

Quote from: Jasmine on August 27, 2012, 04:51:55 PM
Kudos to the Kitchen Majordomo!  ;)

By the by, have you ever tried this recipe for Cioppino? Very easy, and we love it. I use sole, lobster, scallops, shrimp, crab, and orange roughy in mine.

Thank you Jasmine.  ;)  No, I haven't tried that recipe....nor have I come across it.  That is one of the 'beauties' of food......you could go a lifetime and not encounter a dish because the possibilities are endless.

You mention "we love it."  You...as part of the 'We'....let me ask....Who does the cooking in your household?

BobGrau

Quote from: Jasmine on August 27, 2012, 04:56:47 PM
And you're still alive to tell the tale? BobGrau, that's positively disgusting!  :o Please tell me you no longer consume this!

Haven't had one this century - I'd forgotten all about them till tonight - but I can see one somewhere in my near future.

I'm six feet tall, weigh about 150 pounds and eat whatever I like whenever I like. This world is deeply unfair  8)

Jasmine

Quote from: ShayP on August 27, 2012, 05:04:02 PM
Thank you Jasmine.  ;)  No, I haven't tried that recipe....nor have I come across it.  That is one of the 'beauties' of food......you could go a lifetime and not encounter a dish because the possibilities are endless.

Isn't that the truth? I recommend you try this (if you're a seafood lover) - you'll love it. I serve it with an authentic Greek salad (NO lettuce, just tomatoes, cucumbers, goat cheese, olive oil and lemon)

Quote from: ShayP on August 27, 2012, 05:04:02 PM
You mention "we love it."  You...as part of the 'We'....let me ask....Who does the cooking in your household?

"We" as in my beloved and adorable hubby. He's an excellent cook - we share cooking duties. He's of Italian ancestry and therefore loves to prepare a lot of Italian/Mediterranean dishes - as do I, as I've learned quite a bit from him. My specialty is French and German/Austrian cuisine.

Jasmine

Have to go make dinner, but here's a great clip showing how to make Welsh Lamb Pie  and Tartine (Provence).  

Two Fat Ladies: Picnic

CoastCanuck

Quote from: Jasmine on August 27, 2012, 05:14:21 PM
My specialty is ... and German/Austrian cuisine.

German/Austrian cuisine.  You have my attention.  Do you have any recipes you can share?  Thanks.

Jasmine

Quote from: CoastCanuck on August 27, 2012, 05:45:56 PM
German/Austrian cuisine.  You have my attention.  Do you have any recipes you can share?  Thanks.

Anything for a Canuck, eh!  ;) I'll post a few of them tomorrow for you, sweety. Mouth-watering dishes!

kf5iwe

Quote from: Jasmine on August 27, 2012, 04:56:47 PM
I used to eat those when I lived in S.C. But since I hit 368 lbs the Dr. said no more. I had to join wieghtwatchers and start exercising and crap like that. I was doing good and down to 350 but I have missed about 2 months of meetings cause of working a lot of OT. I am going to get back with the program though. I want to still be here when Art returns!! :O
Like 5 GUYS Burgers and Fries!!!

ShayP

I really need to invest in a camera so I can post some pics.  I'm soooo behind the times.   Anyway, I've been on a sandwich/burger kick as of late.  I took some ground sausage and made a pattie, then cooked it in a cast iron skillet, then put it on a ciabatta roll with sliced red onion, fried green tomatoes, and a shit load of mayo.  I think it's a keeper.

Jasmine

Quote from: ShayP on August 28, 2012, 02:27:28 PM
I really need to invest in a camera so I can post some pics.  I'm soooo behind the times.   Anyway, I've been on a sandwich/burger kick as of late.  I took some ground sausage and made a pattie, then cooked it in a cast iron skillet, then put it on a ciabatta roll with sliced red onion, fried green tomatoes, and a shit load of mayo.  I think it's a keeper.

That sounds delicious. I love burgers. You know, I'll bet  some grilled sweet red peppers would be awesome with it, too. ShayP, next time, try mixing some honey Dijon mustard with the mayo...it's a great combo.

For a quickie, I love to make Greek chicken souvlaki on a whole wheat pita wrap. Fast n' easy...just like me. But seriously, just bbq or fry some boneless white chicken (with olive oil), add sliced white or red onions, black olives, cucumber slices, tomatoes, fresh ground pepper and a shit load of tzatziki sauce to the pita wrap, and, VIOLA!  I don't use lettuce...I can't STAND lettuce on sandwiches or wraps.

Jasmine

Quote from: ziznak on August 27, 2012, 03:47:15 PM

Oh, ziznak? I'll have you know that I tried your mom's Mexican Meatloaf last night...I added crushed Ranch style Doritos, Mexican black beans and a bit of hot sauce (along with a dash of bbq sauce) to the meatloaf. And ya know what, kiddo? It was delicious!  Kind of a weird recipe, but it works. Tell your mom to add the black beans and hot sauce to her meatloaf next time. Gracias, Amigo.  :)

MV/Liberace!

when i cook fries (from fresh potatoes), i pour salt into the hot oil well before the potatoes are put in.  the salt dissolves into the oil and is then cooked right into the fries, resulting in a perfect, evenly salted batch.  even better is to do this with seasoned salt.

enjoy.

MV/Liberace!

this thread has posts spanning over 4 years.  it's just amazing to think that much time has gone by since coastgab started.  some of the earlier posts in this thread are worth a read, so check that out if you didn't already.  this thread is now the result of 3 or 4 independent threads (from different times) being merged together.

b_dubb

my Dad and I have been going to this Lithuanian restaraunt in Dayton. they serve pierogi, cabbage rolls and this sauerbatten that is just mind blowing. we eat there once every month or so. I'd go more often if I weren't concerned about cholesterol and weight gain

Sardondi

Quote from: b_dubb on August 30, 2012, 08:10:06 PM
my Dad and I have been going to this Lithuanian restaraunt in Dayton. they serve pierogi, cabbage rolls and this sauerbatten that is just mind blowing. we eat there once every month or so. I'd go more often if I weren't concerned about cholesterol and weight gain

Unfortunately the closest I am to genuine examples of such food is 150 miles...and I'm not even sure about that. I've had cabbage rolls:

and sauerbraten:

but fried and steamed Chinese pot stickers are the nearest I've come to pierogi (pirogi?).

I figure good old Southern chicken and dumplings don't count because the dumplings are just cut up pieces of a sheet of dough:

While these dishes are wonderful comfort food in their own right, I've always figured they can't come close to the wonderful belly-filling dough-and-meat heaviness of these Slavic meat pies.

Am I right? b_dubb? Can you describe the pierogi experience? It simply has to be the perfect food, as it is composed of the three major food groups: hot fat, carbos and salt, with some protein included to bind it all together and slow it down a little on its trip through the alimentary canal.