• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Celebrity Deaths

Started by noodlehead.crucified.c2c, June 25, 2009, 05:28:29 PM

stevesh

Country music legend George Jones, dead at 81.

coaster

I'm a big fan of George Jones. An era when country music was actually country, not the pop music it is today.

Histronic Fop

Quote from: coaster on April 26, 2013, 04:38:56 PM
I'm a big fan of George Jones. An era when country music was actually country, not the pop music it is today.

Amen.  I gave up on country music when this new bunch came along.  :(

Sardondi

Quote from: Histronic Fop on April 26, 2013, 02:06:06 PM
Country music legend George Jones dead at 81. The big question is if he will be a no-show at his own funeral.
Quote from: stevesh on April 26, 2013, 04:33:12 PM
Country music legend George Jones, dead at 81.
Quote from: coaster on April 26, 2013, 04:38:56 PM
I agree that "No-Show" Jones was so much closer to where CW came from than almost anyone playing today. As sweet and pristine as she is (and a decent role model), Taylor Swift has about as much to do with CW music as a petit four. I mean, the girl is from Pennyslvania. The people who were the ancestors of CW music last lived in Pennsylvania around 1750 and then were there only long enough to get directions to the frontier of the mountainous wilds of what was then western Virginia. They followed the Appalachians south and west, until they could find a spot not already occupied by other Scots-Irish and at which they could outgun the local generally peaceful Cherokees and scrappier Shawnees and other tribes.

Then beginning in the 1830's scads of them moved to the Texas territory, whose native inhabitants proved much tougher and far more war-loving than any theretofore encountered, particularly the Comanches. The "Lords of The Southern Plains" had been in their Texas home not much more than 100 years when those Scots-Irish and Germans came, having themselves acquired the massive land area by conquest. "The finest light cavalry in the world", the Comanches probably would have given Genghis Khan a run for his steak tartare.

It was in the Comancheria of the first half of the 19th-century that the fiddles, flutes and pipes of the Scots-Irish, already mixed with the African banjos of the slaves they had come across from Virginia down to Georgia, met the accordions of the German immigrants who moved to Texas along with them; and it was also there they encountered the guitars and rhythms of the Spanish who had been in the Southwest over two-and-a-half centuries

And when the Scots-Irish weren't farming, ranching, killing or dying they combined all these instruments and different musical styles and put them with the singing of their Celtic songs, including church music from the mostly Protestant lot, and that of the Mexican ballads and corridos, and even some of the harmonies of slave music. And they let that stew about a hundred years. It was into that musical melange that "Possum" Jones was born.

I'm amazed George's body held out this long. He was an ugly drunk, an alcoholic of mythic proportions, and he had a family and personal life which was a sad and all too familiar tale of the traumatic synergy of alcohol, drugs, money, fame, predatory management and artistic temperament. I wouldn't have been surprised had he died 30 years ago. I think he had been in very poor health for many years, and I suspect his last decades weren't happy.

But he made some great, affecting music. How can you listen to He Stopped Loving Her Today and not want to cry? Maybe George is tuning up with Hank, Johnny and Merle right now, with Tammy warming up.

stevesh

Here's one vote for Sardondi as official CoastGab eulogist.

Juan

Chris Kelley of Kris Kross.  I wonder if he will be buried with his clothes backwards?

Sardondi

Quote from: UFO Fill on May 02, 2013, 10:03:31 AM
Chris Kelley of Kris Kross.  I wonder if he will be buried with his clothes backwards?
OD or rapid onset lead poisoning?

Juan

Found dead in his home.  No word yet on the cause.

Eddie Coyle

Wow, I knew Hanneman was in tough shape, but didn't expect him to die. The thrash legends ain't kids anymore, the "Big 4"(hate the term) are all 50 or pushing it.

eddie dean

that is probably one of the worst ways to die. Flesh eating disease is horrible and cruel. Id rather be eaten by a lion than by some tiny bacteria. 
It is sad that  great guitar players have to die relatively  young

ziznak

necro-fascititus.... scary... something like that?

eddie dean

Necrotizing fasciitis. yup.

The pic on Wikipedia  looks like something that would be part of Slayers album art on South of Heaven

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necrotizing_fasciitis

ziznak

Ah yes! "Necrotising!"

I've seen enough pics of that condition to last a lifetime... me no clicky.

b_dubb

yet oddly fitting for a guitarist from a horror themed metal band

onan

Ray Harryhausen stopped motion today.

Quote from: onan on May 07, 2013, 03:34:36 PM

Very fitting!

The seven warrior skeletons - they drove me right under my seat when I was still in the grips of my skeletophobia, or whatever the hell you call it. Harryhausen was a giant, even if he did scare the  bejesus out of me when I was a kid.

92 years old - he had a good run.

ItsOver

What a downer.  Ray was The Man.

valdez

Quote from: onan on May 07, 2013, 03:34:36 PM
Quote from: ItsOver on May 07, 2013, 09:39:09 PM
What a downer. Ray was The Man.
Quote from: Unscreened Caller on May 07, 2013, 08:44:45 PM

The seven warrior skeletons - they drove me right under my seat...
I'd mangle his name when I was a kid, but I knew who he was, and thought his work was awesome.  That skeleton scene still freaks me out.  Good guy.

Juan

Jeanne Cooper - known to many "housewives" and couch-hugging neer-do-wells without cable as Katherine Chancellor on "The Young and the Restless."
Dead at 84.  She famously had one of her many facelifts videotaped and used in a plot line of the show.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: stevesh on May 13, 2013, 04:51:41 PM
Dr. Joyce Brothers, dead today at 85.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joyce_Brothers
I feel bad doing this: (almost)

But I thought she died many years ago. But I find myself saying that a lot these days with celebs of yesteryear.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on May 13, 2013, 05:54:23 PM

But I thought she died many years ago.

same here.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: MV on May 14, 2013, 09:43:12 AM

same here.
Her passing means I have to also  stop using her pictures for 'baitin' sessions. It just seems like the right thing to do. I'm very ethical that way.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on May 14, 2013, 10:17:08 AM
       Her passing means I have to also  stop using her pictures for 'baitin' sessions. It just seems like the right thing to do. I'm very ethical that way.

that's odd, because i usually wait until people die to use their pictures.  yeah, i have a problem.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: MV on May 14, 2013, 10:20:32 AM

that's odd, because i usually wait until people die to use their pictures.  yeah, i have a problem.
As long as those pictures are of dead women it's not a problem. At least you're not a weirdo.

Eddie Coyle

Guy who drove cars in circles for a living(no wonder the Saudis laugh at us) Dick Trickle dead via self inflicted lead posioning at 71.

Personally, I think it's incredible he made it to 71. With a name like that, I would have offed myself before my voice changed.