• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Random stupid things on your mind. Post them.

Started by timpate, September 20, 2010, 07:56:24 PM

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on August 10, 2017, 04:01:48 PM
Working on ancestry.com and I found out that I have Cherokee blood not Choctaw blood.  Ancestor, Mary Buckaloo (1782-1860)
We suspected Cherokee for the longest time but then we came to the conclusion that we had Choctaw blood based on where my family lived in northern Alabama/Mississippi.  Turns out Mary and husband, John Wesley were from northwest GA just east of Dalton not far from where Chief Jon Ross lived.  Have 2 direct ancestors who fought for the Confederacy and one who fought in the war of 1812.  Not sure about the Revolutionary War yet though I've traced some of my ancestors to 1600's Goochland, VA. Most of my ancestors who made it past childhood lived well into their 70's and 80's some 90's.

Not really stupid but the best place for me to let let this out.  I really need to get the DNA test to be 100% sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caCvDB9ivOE

Juan

Now, who has your DNA information and who are they selling it to?

K_Dubb

I have always chuckled when people confuse carousel/carousal and, without looking up the etymology, assumed it was a case where English borrows a word twice with two different meanings, presumably something connoting fun.  However, carousel comes from a Latin word for wagon and originally was a type of tournament where knights rode in a circle, where carouse comes from an old German idiom ger aus similar in meaning to the English to "go all out".

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on August 10, 2017, 09:20:26 PM
I have always chuckled when people confuse carousel/carousal and, without looking up the etymology, assumed it was a case where English borrows a word twice with two different meanings, presumably something connoting fun.  However, carousel comes from a Latin word for wagon and originally was a type of tournament where knights rode in a circle, where carouse comes from a German idiom ger aus similar in meaning to the English to "go all out".
Ha. Interesting.  A few years back it was claimed in some papers and magazines (Texas Monthly one, I think) that claimed in Norway they adopted "Texas" to mean "crazy, go all out, wild" etc. I, being both, loved that. But in asking, and visits, I found no foundation or truth to it. (Though my circles there are not 'urban,' such as that is in Norway, and older folks.) I still like to think however the term is used by the kids for out of control parties and such.

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on August 10, 2017, 09:44:15 PM
Ha. Interesting.  A few years back it was claimed in some papers and magazines (Texas Monthly one, I think) that claimed in Norway they adopted "Texas" to mean "crazy, go all out, wild" etc. I, being both, loved that. But in asking, and visits, I found no foundation or truth to it. (Though my circles there are not 'urban,' such as that is in Norway, and older folks.) I still like to think however the term is used by the kids for out of control parties and such.

Oh, that is funny!  Googling of the expression helt texas (completely texas) brings up what appear to be a couple unironic references in major papers so I'm inclined to accept it:

https://www.bt.no/kultur/i/LE1bp/Helt-Texas
http://www.dagbladet.no/sport/helt-texas-i-juniorkamp-da-dommeren-delte-ut-871-utvisningsminutter-i-n-kamp---katastrofe/65394550

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on August 10, 2017, 10:01:48 PM
Oh, that is funny!  Googling of the expression helt texas (completely texas) brings up what appear to be a couple unironic references in major papers so I'm inclined to accept it:

https://www.bt.no/kultur/i/LE1bp/Helt-Texas
http://www.dagbladet.no/sport/helt-texas-i-juniorkamp-da-dommeren-delte-ut-871-utvisningsminutter-i-n-kamp---katastrofe/65394550
Though my 'contacts' limited and older I could believe it. Not just because Westerns (and associated bar-fight mayhem) but the oil&gas connections, (and emigration way back to a wild Texas.) But esp more modern energy relations. For example Norwegian Seamens Church is in Pasadena (formerly home of "Gilley's'"...featured In Urban Cowboy for popular reference. ) Church Is not at same place but city. Ha. Pasadena is a rough town, though not as bad as once was. Consul here is in Houston close to (former) XOM and other energy buildings.

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on August 10, 2017, 10:21:40 PM
Though my 'contacts' limited and older I could believe it. Not just because Westerns (and associated bar-fight mayhem) but the oil&gas connections, (and emigration way back to a wild Texas.) But esp more modern energy relations. For example Norwegian Seamens Church is in Pasadena (formerly home of "Gilley's'"...featured In Urban Cowboy for popular reference. ) Church Is not at same place but city. Ha. Pasadena is a rough town, though not as bad as once was. Consul here is in Houston close to (former) XOM and other energy buildings.

Goodness, we don't even have Sjømannskirken in Seattle!  I had no idea there were so many in Texas.

Yeah I've seen a little of that I don't know what you'd call it but natural resource exploitation here, except here it's with fishing.  Bunch of wealthy boat-owners who act like petty robber barons, most are from the same island we call them the Karmøy mafia and they all do their rs like the French, it's weird.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on August 10, 2017, 10:38:21 PM
Goodness, we don't even have Sjømannskirken in Seattle!  I had no idea there were so many in Texas.

Yeah I've seen a little of that I don't know what you'd call it but natural resource exploitation here, except here it's with fishing.  Bunch of wealthy boat-owners who act like petty robber barons, most are from the same island we call them the Karmøy mafia and they all do their rs like the French, it's weird.
I'm gonna look that stuff up. Recall the 'cod wars' with Iceland vs UK. Another cousin's victory! There are some interesting places here in TX. Clifton, a Norwegian emigre place. And also, forget name now, but Danish area more towards coast (barns etc always painted n maintained.) And a bigger area of Czech/Bohemian (can get on radio old music) and famous pastries and meats. And German, also of course (they managed, despite the two wars) to captialize and keep/make money. Though good beer, shooting, and food will always win over folks, esp in Texas!

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on August 10, 2017, 10:51:23 PM
I'm gonna look that stuff up. Recall the 'cod wars' with Iceland vs UK. Another cousin's victory! There are some interesting places here in TX. Clifton, a Norwegian emigre place. And also, forget name now, but Danish area more towards coast (barns etc always painted n maintained.) And a bigger area of Czech/Bohemian (can get on radio old music) and famous pastries and meats. And German, also of course (they managed, despite the two wars) to captialize and keep/make money. Though good beer, shooting, and food will always win over folks, esp in Texas!

Haha you can start with this guy if you're interested, we called him the codfather.  It's an obit but you can read through the usual hagiography:  http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/seattletimes/obituary.aspx?pid=179503406

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: pate on August 11, 2017, 01:47:42 AM
Being born is a death sentence

Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate. - R. D. Laing

Quote from: Juan on August 10, 2017, 04:13:56 PM
Now, who has your DNA information and who are they selling it to?

I don't really give a damn who has my DNA.  Maybe if they secrete some away to a secret stash, they will clone me and maybe if I ever have need of a heart transplant there will be one available.  There are pluses as well as minuses to the implications of such a DNA grab.

ZaZa

Quote from: 21st Century Man on August 12, 2017, 10:17:35 PM
I don't really give a damn who has my DNA.  Maybe if they secrete some away to a secret stash, they will clone me and maybe if I ever have need of a heart transplant there will be one available.  There are pluses as well as minuses to the implications of such a DNA grab.
hey you, you wanna fight over this bullshit.
I'm ready to teach yua another lesson...
just stick your stupid avatar picture head out and I will snap it with my ancient Mongolian knife 

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Mongolian+knife&rlz=1C5CHFA_enCA704CA704&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiX5sXhr9PVAhVH02MKHYaEDIUQsAQIJQ&biw=2022&bih=1005

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on August 12, 2017, 10:17:35 PM

That's the first thing they do. There's already a bunch of you walking around the island.  ;)

Quote from: ZaZa on August 12, 2017, 10:30:18 PM
hey you, you wanna fight over this bullshit.
I'm ready to teach yua another lesson...
just stick your stupid avatar picture head out and I will snap it with my ancient Mongolian knife 

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Mongolian+knife&rlz=1C5CHFA_enCA704CA704&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiX5sXhr9PVAhVH02MKHYaEDIUQsAQIJQ&biw=2022&bih=1005

I'm not angry with Juan.  I'm just pointing out that there are pluses and minuses if someone has my DNA.  Put the knife away.

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on August 12, 2017, 10:32:19 PM
That's the first thing they do. There's already a bunch of you walking around the island.  ;)

Zaza better mind his manners then or I'll order my clones to go to Mongolia and, well, it might not be pretty.

Before you lose a gasket, Zaza, I'm just kidding. ;)

tyrONE

Quote from: 21st Century Man on August 12, 2017, 10:38:33 PM
Zaza better mind his manners then or I'll order my clones to go to Mongolia and, well, it might not be pretty.

I got my niggas hunting fo him in da mongolian jungle right now he be on borrowed time FO REAL!

ZaZa

Quote from: 21st Century Man on August 12, 2017, 10:33:48 PM
I'm not angry with Juan.  I'm just pointing out that there are pluses and minuses if someone has my DNA.  Put the knife away.

Knife ?? -when I see posts from you I 'm reaching for A machete ;)

ZaZa

Quote from: 21st Century Man on August 12, 2017, 10:38:33 PM

fucking too late buddy,...I already saddled my yak and I'm galloping in your direction  ;) ;) ;) ;)

whoozit

Moving is god damned stressful.  Sold my house in NH that has been my home for the last 20 years on Friday.  I'm now in VA and hopefully closing on my new home here tomorrow. The good news is that I have lost 20 pounds, but I will not use this weight loss program again.

pate

Yaks mainly get raped individuallym, mmm, heard that the Mongos, mmm

as a herd, inartview wif/ yaks at eleventy..

mm

ZaZa

Quote from: pate on August 14, 2017, 01:12:32 AM
Yaks mainly get raped individuallym, mmm, heard that the Mongos, mmm

as a herd, inartview wif/ yaks at eleventy..

mm

rabbid pate,
is your head OK ?

ZaZa

Quote from: pate on January 31, 2014, 03:14:53 AM

Normally, I am raging drunk when this idiot is a guest and I turn off the radio--if I don't unplug it and throw it somewhere in a drunken rage--just because of the kind of banal boring obnoxious and aurally non-stimulating garbage such as tonight's radio...  Unfortunately, I am working on my taxes...  If I had known this idiot was going to be interviewing that idiot, I think I would have gone to the bar earlier to get into the correct frame of mind to deal with this.

That is all.

-edited- changed "...Catch-22 or suck..." to "...Catch-22 OF suck..."

OK, all is understood now.
you are just small raging drunk. Got it.

ZaZa

Quote from: pate on April 29, 2014, 01:36:21 AM
That is awesome news MV!

Will it always be backed up with audio? 

In celebration, I swear I will never beat, kick or yell at babies anymore.  Y'know, for the children...

pate, the child molester. :( :( :(

Taaroa

QuoteA sammich without bread isn't a sammichâ€"it's meat with mustard on your hands!

Juan

Where does the Aussie hamburger fit into that?