• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Other Side of Midnight - Richard C. Hoagland - Live Chat Thread

Started by cosmic hobo, June 24, 2015, 09:00:52 PM

Morgus

The message at the OSOM website for tonight's show:
"Richard is under the weather.  We deeply regret there will be no show tonight."

=Schlyder=

LOL under the weather.   That's what happens when you are too drunk to do the show the night before.

albrecht

Quote from: Morgus on December 17, 2017, 08:10:48 PM
"Richard is under the weather.  We deeply regret there will be no show tonight."
Doesn't his paramour have some kind of "Oriental medicine" cure for what ails him? Or maybe he could replace the bolo-tie with the Miami Cricle medallion he was hawking on Art's show decades ago? That had healing properties, right?

PaulAtreides

Quote from: Morgus on December 17, 2017, 08:10:48 PM

What, can't Robin fix him with an elixir and an incantation?  Really, another entire weekend off.  The only person I know that works less than Hoagie is Trump.

pate

I rally doan carry hoe much r'Obin touched the lad, his activities are unforgivable.

Preach of Obin End'eed//

Nobody

Quote from: ShayP on December 01, 2017, 09:38:07 AM
Hmmm....I like Dave Distler. 

I can see why; Distler sounds like the sort of chap who spends a lot of his time hunting and fishing.  :)

(Unlike Hoagland, someone whom I would never credit with so much as holding either a fishing rod or a rifle, let alone putting it to effective use.)

I don't know if I buy into any of the EM Drive business (the most generous interpretation of which is that the jury is still very much out), but mysteriously enough, D. Distler did not end the show by making an appeal for more funds.  I can't think when a Hoagland guest ever passed up an opportunity to con the mugs allow listeners to invest in their valuable work like that.  ???

PaulAtreides

Quote from: albrecht on December 17, 2017, 09:43:50 PM
Doesn't his paramour have some kind of "Oriental medicine" cure for what ails him? Or maybe he could replace the bolo-tie with the Miami Cricle medallion he was hawking on Art's show decades ago? That had healing properties, right?

There are no snake oil cures for laziness and technical incompetence.

Theadora

Quote from: expat on December 16, 2017, 04:33:13 PM

Why does James Oberg write so much about a lot of stuff that he seems to know nothing about, and why would any credible journal bother to publish his inconsequential musings?

Furthermore, the current pope most certainly isn't looking forward to meeting Jesus, any more than is James Oberg.  Further furthermore, Chris can't bring himself to mention the X-37B, any more than can Richard C Hoagland, because they are both sworn to secrecy about Project Prometheus.

https://plus.google.com/photos/photo/105129444835385974400/6501396362695966066

expat

Who is "Chris" in this context?

Prometheus was canceled in 2005.

Thank you.

Theadora

Quote from: Theadora on December 19, 2017, 05:08:45 PM
Why does James Oberg write so much about a lot of stuff that he seems to know nothing about, and why would any credible journal bother to publish his inconsequential musings?

Furthermore, the current pope most certainly isn't looking forward to meeting Jesus, any more than is James Oberg.  Further furthermore, Chris can't bring himself to mention the X-37B, any more than can Richard C Hoagland, because they are both sworn to secrecy about Project Prometheus.

https://plus.google.com/photos/photo/105129444835385974400/6501396362695966066

What's the point of mentioning Oberg's books, when you publish his periodical hyperbole about UFOs and Close Encounters?  Project Prometheus went black when the DoD bought it.  The X-37B is nuclear powered.  Richard C Hoagland promoted it and now won' talk about it, other than to call it something else, same as Chris mislabels it as "X-47B.

https://plus.google.com/photos/photo/105129444835385974400/6501424295387003154

expat

Who is "Chris"?

X-37B has no primary propulsion on board. It is launched on an Atlas-V. Manoeuvering on orbit is repotedly by hypergolic nitrogen tetroxide/hydrazine thrusters.

Theo, if you want to propose exotic theories here, you really have to come up with some evidence or nobody will believe you.

Nobody

Quote from: Dyna-X on December 02, 2017, 07:53:10 PM
At this point Hoagie could make an entire show dedicated to writing utensils and actually gain listeners

At least he doesn't have to worry about losing any more listeners, eh? :)

Speaking for myself, I would like very much like to hear about his boyhood in the America of the 1950s.  The problem is that Hoagland would have to keep his story straight long enough to form some sort of coherent narrative.

I don't know if anyone else remembers this, but during his KCAA days, he claimed his family ran some sort of boarding house, only to suddenly change his story to "bed and breakfast and restaurant" when he was on WBCQ.  Well, which was it, Hoagland?  There is a big difference between a b&b where people are there for a day and gone versus a boarding house where they might stay on for weeks, months, even years.

Frankly, I find myself wondering if Hoagland still has it in him to tell any sort of convincing story at this point. 

Quote from: Dyna-X on December 02, 2017, 07:53:10 PM
and credibility.

Hoagland's credibility seems to have departed for good a long, looooong time ago, never to return.  In fact,
Dwayne Day's superb writeup of a "press conference" Hoagland attempted to give (but which almost no one attended) is now a decade old as of a few days ago. 

(If you've never seen it before, it is well worth a read.)

Hoagland is like an old vaudevillian who plays to a near-empty house night after night: Your embarrassment at his flopping time and again is strongly commingled with contempt at his complete inability to figure out why.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Nobody on December 21, 2017, 02:11:26 AM

Speaking for myself, I would like very much like to hear about his boyhood in the America of the 1950s.  The problem is that Hoagland would have to keep his story straight long enough to form some sort of coherent narrative.

I don't know if anyone else remembers this, but during his KCAA days, he claimed his family ran some sort of boarding house, only to suddenly change his story to "bed and breakfast and restaurant" when he was on WBCQ.  Well, which was it, Hoagland?  There is a big difference between a b&b where people are there for a day and gone versus a boarding house where they might stay on for weeks, months, even years.

Frankly, I find myself wondering if Hoagland still has it in him to tell any sort of convincing story at this point. 

Hoagland's credibility seems to have departed for good a long, looooong time ago, never to return.  In fact,
Dwayne Day's superb writeup of a "press conference" Hoagland attempted to give (but which almost no one attended) is now a decade old as of a few days ago. 

Hoagland is like an old vaudevillian who plays to a near-empty house night after night: Your embarrassment at his flopping time and again is strongly commingled with contempt at his complete inability to figure out why.

I find it even funnier that supposedly serious, scientifically-minded people such as yourself invest this much time and energy in battling his evil. Are you really worried he's going to start influencing science or something...REALLY?! Who's having trouble with reality here? ;D

GravitySucks

Quote from: Nobody on December 21, 2017, 02:11:26 AM

Wrong link to DWAYNE DAY. Here is the correct one.

http://www.thespacereview.com/article/1022/1

Nobody

Quote from: Lunger on December 12, 2017, 08:54:38 AM
My first thoughts were that an alien race of total retards were coming and signaling their arrival by doing the stupidest thing possible to broadcast their existence.

I, for one, look forward to greeting our retarded overlords.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly2BQv9K6Fs

Nobody

Quote from: GravitySucks on December 21, 2017, 02:46:16 AM

Wrong link to DWAYNE DAY. Here is the correct one.

http://www.thespacereview.com/article/1022/1

Ah, right you are.  :)   Many thanks for taking the time to furnish the proper link. *tips hat*

expat

That Dwayne Day piece is terrific. I've cited it myself, many times.

astroguy

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 21, 2017, 02:23:28 AM
I find it even funnier that supposedly serious, scientifically-minded people such as yourself invest this much time and energy in battling his evil. Are you really worried he's going to start influencing science or something...REALLY?! Who's having trouble with reality here? ;D
The issue is not whether people really believe what RCH says, it's that Richard can act as a gateway for other incredulous ideas that people may believe or be lead to believe that can cause real harm.  And the few that do believe him, well, it's not like they aren't out money, paying for some of his trips, buying his books, paying for his show, and by at least his accounts shelling out a few $k for his guests.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: astroguy on December 21, 2017, 10:26:10 AM
The issue is not whether people really believe what RCH says, it's that Richard can act as a gateway for other incredulous ideas that people may believe or be lead to believe that can cause real harm.  And the few that do believe him, well, it's not like they aren't out money, paying for some of his trips, buying his books, paying for his show, and by at least his accounts shelling out a few $k for his guests.

I just think it's funny that you guys seem to think you're the only ones smart enough to see that and I can't really believe that you see him as the threat you do. I know he's done some sleazy shit re: his trips and it's good that you warn people of this but, other than that, it just seems like much ado about nothing. Maybe, if he was presenting himself as a 100% hard science show I'd understand your ire. No, I suspect this is just another attempt from the left to bully free speech again...sadly.

I was trying to explain to one of my nephews (who recently entered the world of professional science) that money corrupts science all the time (because scientists are people after all) but he just couldn't believe it because science is so peer reviewed and interconnected that they could never get away with it. Ah, youth. I'm confident he'll eventually get it though. I'm just kind of surprised that you don't seem to.

astroguy

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 21, 2017, 10:44:10 AM
I just think it's funny that you guys seem to think you're the only ones smart enough to see that and I can't really believe that you see him as the threat you do. I know he's done some sleazy shit re: his trips and it's good that you warn people of this but, other than that, it just seems like much ado about nothing. Maybe, if he was presenting himself as a 100% hard science show I'd understand your ire. No, I suspect this is just another attempt from the left to bully free speech again...sadly.

I was trying to explain to one of my nephews (who recently entered the world of professional science) that money corrupts science all the time (because scientists are people after all) but he just couldn't believe it because science is so peer reviewed and interconnected that they could never get away with it. Ah, youth. I'm confident he'll eventually get it though. I'm just kind of surprised that you don't seem to.
Fascinating that my response has led you to think this.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: astroguy on December 21, 2017, 10:47:37 AM
Fascinating that my response has led you to think this.

I just don't get your obsession with someone that CLEARLY the majority of people here laugh at. It's really more of a comedy show than anything. I think you know that.  :)

Jackstar

Quote from: astroguy on December 21, 2017, 10:26:10 AM
can act as a gateway for other incredulous ideas that people may believe or be lead to believe that can cause real harm

So, where are you at with fluoridated water supplies? C'mon, let's see your gateway.

expat

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 21, 2017, 10:44:10 AM
I just think it's funny that you guys seem to think you're the only ones smart enough to see that and ...

Speaking for myself as a (well-known?) Hoagland critic, I don't think that. However, I'm willing to invest my time in reviewing and critiquing Hoagland's "work" in some detail. The Accutron, for one example. No doubt everyone with any sense just knows it's nonsense, but possibly most people aren't willing to take the time to investigate Hoagland's protocols and explain why it's nonsense. I must have written eight or more blogposts about this, attacking the data, and astroguy has written at least one long piece about it. Such things take time.

Another example: Analysis of Hoagland's claims about the orbit of Explorer 1. It took time, and some mathematical skill, but I thought it worthwhile to debunk back in 2008 and I don't regret spending that time.

Another from 2008. That stupid fucking robot head on the Moon. That took not only time but a bit of cash, obtaining the ultra-high-res image from NASA-JSC.

That one has had nearly 15,000 page views, and if I convinced a few people that Hoagland was a liar I consider my time and dosh well spent.

Cheers.