• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 4skinchan on December 16, 2017, 09:19:53 PM

You stink up every thread.

Glad you liked it. Now go suck a dirty dick! It's probably been 10 minutes since your last.

4chan mole

Dr MD DO MD

Rix Gins

I watched 2015's Blackway starring Anthony Hopkins, on Netflix.  Pretty good movie to watch on a cold December day, especially since the movie itself looks like it was filmed during the month of December.

Blackway is the character name of a combination sadist, bully, hick town crime lord dude, who was also a menacing deputy patrol officer at one time.  He has it in for this chick named Lillian.  Which reminds me, he was also a stalker.  Anyway, he terrifies Lillian and cuts the heads off her cats, so she goes to the local sheriff to file a complaint and hopefully get some kind of restraining order but the sheriff is no help because he doesn't want to get his head stomped in by Blackway. Oh, before I forget, Blackway is not played be Anthony Hopkins, but some other spooky looking actor by the name of Ray Liotta.     

The sheriff tells Lillian to leave town.  Either that, or go to a local lumber mill and ask if any of the boys there can give her a hand.  She tries the latter, and walks into the crowded mill office just as the mill's owner (played by a very old Hal Holbrook) is describing how old time loggers used knotholes in trees for sexual satisfaction because there were no women in those logging camps for months on end.  Lillian asks for help but it seems like everyone was afraid of Blackway, so she left the office in disgust.  Just as she was getting into her car, two millworkers approach her.  Lester, played by Anthony Hopkins and a younger dude, kind of a slow witted, gentle giant named Nate, offer to help her.  So the three of them set off to find Blackway and put an end to his evil ways.

I guessed wrong on the ending.  Lester had a hobby of making wooden whirligigs, those things that look like birds and flap their wings in the wind and he had them all around his house.  I thought that he would trick Blackway to come to his house and the bad guy would step on a buried, high pressure whirligig that would shoot out of the ground and grab his entrails and pull them back into the earth.  Can you blame me for thinking so?  After all we don't know what Lester did before he became a millworker.

https://youtu.be/7PZY83rrJZo   

Quote from: Rix Gins on December 27, 2017, 12:25:01 AM
I watched 2015's Blackway starring Anthony Hopkins, on Netflix.  Pretty good movie to watch on a cold December day, especially since the movie itself looks like it was filmed during the month of December.

Blackway is the character name of a combination sadist, bully, hick town crime lord dude, who was also a menacing deputy patrol officer at one time.  He has it in for this chick named Lillian.  Which reminds me, he was also a stalker.  Anyway, he terrifies Lillian and cuts the heads off her cats, so she goes to the local sheriff to file a complaint and hopefully get some kind of restraining order but the sheriff is no help because he doesn't want to get his head stomped in by Blackway. Oh, before I forget, Blackway is not played be Anthony Hopkins, but some other spooky looking actor by the name of Ray Liotta.     

The sheriff tells Lillian to leave town.  Either that, or go to a local lumber mill and ask if any of the boys there can give her a hand.  She tries the latter, and walks into the crowded mill office just as the mill's owner (played by a very old Hal Holbrook) is describing how old time loggers used knotholes in trees for sexual satisfaction because there were no women in those logging camps for months on end.  Lillian asks for help but it seems like everyone was afraid of Blackway, so she left the office in disgust.  Just as she was getting into her car, two millworkers approach her.  Lester, played by Anthony Hopkins and a younger dude, kind of a slow witted, gentle giant named Nate, offer to help her.  So the three of them set off to find Blackway and put an end to his evil ways.

I guessed wrong on the ending.  Lester had a hobby of making wooden whirligigs, those things that look like birds and flap their wings in the wind and he had them all around his house.  I thought that he would trick Blackway to come to his house and the bad guy would step on a buried, high pressure whirligig that would shoot out of the ground and grab his entrails and pull them back into the earth.  Can you blame me for thinking so?  After all we don't know what Lester did before he became a millworker.

https://youtu.be/7PZY83rrJZo

Thanks, Rix.  I never heard of the movie but it sounds right up my alley.  Love Liotta and Hopkins.  I'll be on the lookout.

Rix Gins

Quote from: 21st Century Man on December 27, 2017, 12:30:13 AM
Thanks, Rix.  I never heard of the movie but it sounds right up my alley.  Love Liotta and Hopkins.  I'll be on the lookout.

Cool!  Hope you enjoy it.

Up All Night

Watched 2001:A Space Odyssey

When watching the Apes part, my mind drifts to Mel Brook's parody with masturbation being the result of coming in contact with the monolith, and, the scene in Quest For The Fire where prehistoric man does it to a woman doggie style at the watering hole, like the apes do, until the more advanced human woman teaches him to do it missionary style.

That Hal is a murdering sociopath.

Taaroa

Just watched 'Fist of Fury' and 'Tokyo Drifter'.

Fist of Fury's pacing felt a bit wonky, but was still mostly enjoyable. Not a genre I've ever seen much of, but I have another Kung Fu film lined up to watch at some point called The 36th Chamber of Shaolin.

Tokyo Drifter had some very nice cinematography and sets, but it was let down by a plot that was a bit too hard to follow and seemed almost as though it was missing scenes (reading up on it after watching makes it sound like this was a budget issue). Yakuza genre is one I want to watch more of, especially the ones made by/involving Beat Takeshi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ-cn4FmCbA

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Taaroa on December 27, 2017, 01:47:27 AM
Just watched 'Fist of Fury' and 'Tokyo Drifter'.

Fist of Fury's pacing felt a bit wonky, but was still mostly enjoyable. Not a genre I've ever seen much of, but I have another Kung Fu film lined up to watch at some point called The 36th Chamber of Shaolin.

The story makes no sense whatsoever. I won't give away the "surprise" ending but we all know it's pretty stupid and will leave you scratching your head but still such a great movie just to see Lee in his prime. Come to think of it, even Enter The Dragon was pretty stupid. His movies are all about the fight scenes and FOF has some of the best ones.

Taaroa

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on December 27, 2017, 02:19:38 AM
The story makes no sense whatsoever. I won't give away the "surprise" ending but we all know it's pretty stupid and will leave you scratching your head but still such a great movie just to see Lee in his prime.
The story (except for the last shot) made sense, even if it was goofy and cheesy. I think you also need to have at least a brief understanding of the time period and location it's set in (i.e. Shanghai when the city was partly ruled by different nations), which the audience it was originally intended for would have.

Don't watch Tokyo Drifter if you thought Fist of Fury didn't make sense.  ;D

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Taaroa on December 27, 2017, 02:42:05 AM
The story (except for the last shot) made sense, even if it was goofy and cheesy. I think you also need to have at least a brief understanding of the time period and location it's set in (i.e. Shanghai when the city was partly ruled by different nations), which the audience it was originally intended for would have.

Don't watch Tokyo Drifter if you thought Fist of Fury didn't make sense.  ;D

The uncle was shaking himself down? He owned the restaurant! Huh?!  ???

I saw this Burt Reynolds movie ages ago on the Late Late Show.

I had a vague memory of Burt finding these odd, little Ape creatures in the jungle and uncovers a plot to use them
as slaves.  I remember it being really bad - as in Burt's side kick gets jiggy with one of the creatures and manages to
impregnate the she Ape.  I found Part 1 & 4 on Youtube but it seems as if Parts 2 & 3 are missing.   Guess I'll have to
poke around elsewhere

Here is the trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWoxl2KYUcM

aldousburbank

I tried watching Wormwood on the netflix but it seems like all the potential storytelling intrigue of a dude getting dosed while working on chemical warfare junk has been squozed out of the thing. Yeah I get that the family is bummed after dad flips himself out of a hotel room some time later cuz he doesn't want to work for these assholes anymore. And the whole gbmt coverup... well yeah, no shit. I mean I'm as interested in MkUltra spy vs spy reindeer games as much as the next guy, but there's a lot of fucking multi-episoding here for a little tip of fucking iceburg.

In my opinion, the real dope, the stuff you're not supposed to be looking behind the curtain of is exemplified in the story of Mary Pinchot Meyer. Insider at Millbrook and Leary's enclave of peace mongering bohemian intellectual goo factory. Oh, and the lover JFK appears to have been most deeply infatuated with. Yeah, that Mary Pinchot Meyer. The one that dosed the president, rigged the presidential erection, and taught the Commander In Chief how to sing in perfect harmony. She was out to save the fucking world man!

Which is why she was shot through the head.

You can find the occasional journalistic foray into this story and an odd book or other literary reference. (Leary mentioned the scenario in his autobiography). It's too bad someone doesn't make a movie about that. Oh wait! They did! I just watched it on Amazon. I give it a 150 microgram rating. Not too weak. Not too strong. Enjoy it with someone you care about and don't mind letting use your robe and slippers while listening to Coltrane and having tea.

An American Affair
http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0899138/

Just saw Darkest Hour.  If Gary Oldman doesn't win Best Actor for his portrayal of Churchill, I'll never watch another Acadamy Award show again.  I won't say it is the Best Picture of the year but it is one of the best for sure.  Of course the Academy will never give it Best Picture because the left generally doesn't like Churchill. Much preferred it over Dunkirk which was a bit ponderous. 4 and half stars out of 5.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on December 31, 2017, 01:28:50 AM
Just saw Darkest Hour.  If Gary Oldman doesn't win Best Actor for his portrayal of Churchill, I'll never watch another Acadamy Award show again.  I won't say it is the Best Picture of the year but it is one of the best for sure.  Of course the Academy will never give it Best Picture because the left generally doesn't like Churchill. Much preferred it over Dunkirk which was a bit ponderous. 4 and half stars out of 5.

I had a hankering to watch Immortal Beloved again recently. I love that part where he turns to those men in the street and says, Your world is OVER!  ;D

ItsOver

I may mosey out to see it this week.

TigerLily

Just saw Darkest Hour.  If Gary Oldman doesn't win Best Actor for his portrayal of Churchill, I'll never watch another Acadamy Award show again.  I won't say it is the Best Picture of the year but it is one of the best for sure.  Of course the Academy will never give it Best Picture because the left generally doesn't like Churchill Much preferred it over Dunkirk which was a bit ponderous. 4 and half stars out of 5.

Since when don't we like Churchill?  What, we didn't like Patton either? Or too anti-Iraq war (Hurt Locker)?  And why do guys keep making up shit about us?  Knock it off

Quote from: TigerLily on December 31, 2017, 10:38:12 PM
Since when don't we like Churchill?  What, we didn't like Patton either? Or too anti-Iraq war (Hurt Locker)?  And why do guys keep making up shit about us?  Knock it off

I'm sorry I insulted you.  You do have to admit though there are elements on the left that don't like those individuals and I know the left will not give that movie Best Picture.  If you don't think that way then there's not too wide a gulf that differentiates our views.  As a matter of fact,  I might have very similar views to you on the Iraq war as I consider it Bush's personal war on Saddam because he dared to threaten Pappy Bush.   I hesitated about putting anything political in that brief review as I try to leave the politics to the political boards.  I should have listened to my gut. Once again, sorry.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on January 01, 2018, 02:12:55 AM
I'm sorry I insulted you.  You do have to admit though there are elements on the left that don't like those individuals and I know the left will not give that movie Best Picture.  If you don't think that way then there's not too wide a gulf that differentiates our views.  As a matter of fact,  I might have very similar views to you on the Iraq war as I consider it Bush's personal war on Saddam because he dared to threaten Pappy Bush.   I hesitated about putting anything political in that brief review as I try to leave the politics to the political boards.  I should have listened to my gut. Once again, sorry.

No, you're spot on! Churchill was a rabid anti-communist and pretty much responsible for instituting the iron curtain policy toward the East. He was seen as (and frankly was) a bit of a war monger. TL is giving you the post-failed coup revision of him. Apparently, they're rabid anti-communists now while still lionizing people like Mao and Castro. Don't try to make sense of it. There is none.

Though your take on the gulf war is pretty stupid. You really don't think oil had anything to do with it?  :D

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 01, 2018, 02:31:25 AM
No, you're spot on! Churchill was a rabid anti-communist and pretty much responsible for instituting the iron curtain policy toward the East. He was seen as (and frankly was) a bit of a war monger. TL is giving you the post-failed coup revision of him. Apparently, they're rabid anti-communists now while still lionizing people like Mao and Castro. Don't try to make sense of it. There is none.

Though your take on the gulf war is pretty stupid. You really don't think oil had anything to do with it?  :D

Nope.  Do you remember when Saddam put out a bounty on Pappy Bush in 1995 or 1996?  Once W got in, he used 9/11 as an excuse to go back after him for threatening Pappy.  I could be wrong but it makes more sense than the whole oil thing.

I'll give TL the benefit if the doubt on this one and my apology stands but thanks. 

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on January 01, 2018, 02:38:18 AM
Nope.  Do you remember when Saddam put out a bounty on Pappy Bush in 1995 or 1996?  Once W got in, he used 9/11 as an excuse to go back after him for threatening Pappy.

Dude, that's a story they told you on TV. GROW UP!  ;D

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 01, 2018, 02:40:50 AM
Dude, that's a story they told you on TV. GROW UP!  ;D

I remember when Saddam threatened Pappy in the 90's.  I didn't hear it after the fact during the Second Gulf War.  I connected the dots myself.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on January 01, 2018, 02:44:33 AM
I remember when Saddam threatened Pappy in the 90's.  I didn't hear it after the fact during the Second Gulf War.  I connected the dots myself.

The reason for the first one was most likely an attempt to get senior reelected. Remember? He had had a bit of a (wimpy) image problem.   :D

The reason for the second one is spelled out in this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_for_the_New_American_Century

Get familiar with it.  ;)

William Kristol, Co-founder and Chairman[6]

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on January 01, 2018, 03:34:40 AM
The reason for the first one was most likely an attempt to get senior reelected. Remember? He had had a bit of a (wimpy) image problem.   :D

The reason for the second one is spelled out in this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_for_the_New_American_Century

Get familiar with it.  ;)

William Kristol, Co-founder and Chairman[6]

You misunderstand.  Saddam offered a bounty on Sr. several years after Clinton was elected not during the First Gulf War.  It was 1995-96 and that is when I heard it.  I'm no big fan of Bill Kristol.  Too much of a neocon for me.

ItsOver

Saw it last night.  To my surprise, and probably for most of the super hero and other drek-obsessed Hollywood crowd, the theatre was packed.  One of the better films I've seen in years.  You're right about Oldman, 21st.  Not only should he get the Oscar for this portrayal, they should give him a lifetime achievement award, considering his superb performances over the years.  You could watch The Darkest Hour and Hannibal back-to-back and not realize he portrayed both Churchill and Verger but would recognize that was one damn fine actor.  One of the best actors around.