• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Richard Syrett

Started by muddel, July 28, 2009, 01:15:33 PM

GravitySucks

Quote from: zeebo on May 06, 2017, 12:30:04 PM
Yeah and it can really play havoc with verb tenses.

I think, therefore, I am was will be.

zeebo

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 06, 2017, 12:32:25 PM
I think, therefore, I am was will be.

In the future you were.

Dr. MD MD

I was, am and will be there.  8)

Dr. MD MD

No one listening to Syrett tonight?

GravitySucks

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 07, 2017, 12:04:41 AM

Have it on but haven't been paying attention.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 07, 2017, 12:05:34 AM
Have it on but haven't been paying attention.

It's OK but why do these guys websites always look like they're circa 1995?!   :D

https://nomoregames.net/

GravitySucks

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 07, 2017, 12:07:45 AM
It's OK but why do these guys websites always look like they're circa 1995?!   :D

He's a Professor, and probably older than dirt. He was on the internet back when only people with IQs over 165 knew how to use it.

😎

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 07, 2017, 12:10:02 AM
He's a Professor, and probably older than dirt. He was on the internet back when only people with IQs over 165 knew how to use it.

😎

Mine's not that high but I was on the internet before there was the WWW. I was in university and we could log onto their servers with our 2800 baud modems.  8)

albrecht

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 07, 2017, 12:07:45 AM

There also is still standing contract that a guest must use hotdog and a geocities account.  :D

GravitySucks

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 07, 2017, 12:15:29 AM
Mine's not that high but I was on the internet before there was the WWW. I was in university and we could log onto their servers with our 2800 baud modems.  8)

I started with a 300 baud acoustic modem.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 07, 2017, 12:17:49 AM
I started with a 300 baud acoustic modem.

The kind you couple with a rotary phone?  ???

Actually, I think my first modem was 2400 not 2800.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 07, 2017, 12:19:31 AM
The kind you couple with a rotary phone?  ???

Actually, I think my first modem was 2400 not 2800.

I had a touch tone phone, but it was the kind you put the handset in the cups. Only had a dumb terminal. Not a computer per se. I think it was a VT-100 but it was back around 1981, so I may have the model wrong.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 07, 2017, 12:23:23 AM
I had a touch tone phone, but it was the kind you put the handset in the cups. Only had a dumb terminal. Not a computer per se. I think it was a VT-100 but it was back around 1981, so I may have the model wrong.

Old school 8)

You were probably phone phreaking with Captain Crunch too.  :D

I avoided computers in the 80s but had to submit in the 90s. I regret not getting into them sooner but for most of the 80s computers still seemed accessible only to math geeks and such. It was probably that I didn't start getting friends who were really into them until I went to university and then almost everyone had them.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 07, 2017, 12:37:39 AM
Old school 8)

You were probably phone phreaking with Captain Crunch too.  :D

I avoided computers in the 80s but had to submit in the 90s. I regret not getting into them sooner but for most of the 80s computers still seemed accessible only to math geeks and such. It was probably that I didn't start getting friends who were really into them until I went to university and then almost everyone had them.

I crosstrained into programming in 79 and got my degree in CS at night while I was in the Air Force. I was married to a computer from that point on.

My first PC at home was an AT&T 6300 with an 8086 processor, 640k ram, 20mb hard drive, and a color monitor. It cost $3200. I think the internal modem was 9600 baud. A second, 20mb external hard drive cost me $970. It took quite a bit of time and hoops to get DOS to recognize more than 32mb of hard disk space. To this day, I have no idea how I got it to work. This was pre-Windows.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 07, 2017, 12:44:38 AM
I crosstrained into programming in 79 and got my degree in CS at night while I was in the Air Force. I was married to a computer from that point on.

My first PC at home was an AT&T 6300 with an 8086 processor, 640k ram, 20mb hard drive, and a color monitor. It cost $3200. I think the internal modem was 9600 baud. A second, 20mb external hard drive cost me $970. It took quite a bit of time and hoops to get DOS to recognize more than 32mb of hard disk space. To this day, I have no idea how I got it to work. This was pre-Windows.

I don't remember all the specs of my first system but it was a 286 (I think 20Mhz) and the 2400 baud external modem. I can't remember if I had windows on it or not. I think 3.1 was the first version I tried to run and by then I had upgraded to a 386 33Mhz machine. Windows was a horrible pig back then that ultimately motivated me toward Macintosh a few years later.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 07, 2017, 12:51:42 AM
I don't remember all the specs of my first system but it was a 286 (I think 20Mhz) and the 2400 baud external modem. I can't remember if I had windows on it or not. I think 3.1 was the first version I tried to run and by then I had upgraded to a 386 33Mhz machine. Windows was a horrible pig back then that ultimately motivated me toward Macintosh a few years later.

Now that I think about it, I don't remember it having an internal modem. I don't think I had an internal modem until about 1992 or 3 when I got my 486dx.

I didn't use my AT&T 6300 to get online. I was doing program development and would just carry floppy disks ( 5 1/4) back and forth (SneakerNet).

I developed some kickass software on that system. Mostly in pascal and c. Turbo Pascal was a powerful compiler for those early machines running DOS.

Dr. MD MD

Syrett's really into the soul music tonight.  8)

zeebo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 07, 2017, 12:04:41 AM

I skipped the first guest, but gonna check out the segment on TTT (Titor-less Time Travel).

GravitySucks

Quote from: zeebo on May 07, 2017, 01:10:02 AM
I skipped the first guest, but gonna check out the segment on TTT (Titor-less Time Travel).

Inserting ibuprofen as we speak.

GravitySucks

I think the only multiplayer game I have ever played on a computer was called Maze Wars. We played it on our work MacIntoshes that were hooked up on an AppleTalk network. All black and white. 

Spent a lot of time with Flight Simulator on both the Mac and Dos/PC. And doom.

zeebo

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 07, 2017, 12:57:44 AM
...I developed some kickass software on that system. Mostly in pascal and c. Turbo Pascal was a powerful compiler for those early machines running DOS.

I loved Pascal!  That's what I learned on, such a sensible language.

GravitySucks

Quote from: zeebo on May 07, 2017, 01:22:56 AM
I loved Pascal!  That's what I learned on, such a sensible language.

I still say while Reagan was bankrupting the Soviet Union with StarWars, the Soviets were bankrupting the US by infiltrating universities and teaching C.

GravitySucks

I have developed in 4 different types of assembler, COBOL, Fortran, PL/I, Pascal, C, C++, Ada, and Prolog. I think Pascal was my favorite.

Dr. MD MD

Didn't we already know it was mathematically possible?  ???

Give me my damn time machine!  >:(

zeebo

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 07, 2017, 01:25:02 AM
I still say while Reagan was bankrupting the Soviet Union with StarWars, the Soviets were bankrupting the US by infiltrating universities and teaching C.

Lol, those damn C pointers and their memory leaks.  Ugh, at least the time I spent learning that helped later learning Perl which is just as cryptic.   ;)

GravitySucks

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 07, 2017, 01:31:20 AM

Give me my damn time machine!  >:(

The different series within the Star Trek franchise would drive me crazy with the time travel episodes.

I wouldn't even watch the alternative universe episodes.

zeebo

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on May 07, 2017, 01:31:20 AM

I'm sort of confused by this as well.  I thought that was the big insight of his paper.  Sounds like it's rather a subtle corollary, which is that he's found a way to do it so it's a self-consistent system.  Pretty sure Bill & Ted's already did that though.

GravitySucks

Quote from: zeebo on May 07, 2017, 01:32:29 AM
Lol, those damn C pointers and their memory leaks.  Ugh, at least the time I spent learning that helped later learning Perl which is just as cryptic.   ;)

I did most of my pascal work on DOS with 640k of ram so everything was pointers and saving stuff off to disk and using overlays. I wrote a word processor interface into a relational database that mimicked wordstar but stored everything in a database instead of a text file. It was basically a browser before there was an Internet.  It was a commercial product for several years. All that was was pointers to pointers. I used to see pointers in my sleep.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 07, 2017, 01:27:36 AM
I have developed in 4 different types of assembler, COBOL, Fortran, PL/I, Pascal, C, C++, Ada, and Prolog. I think Pascal was my favorite.

That's what I missed out on. I was taught some BASIC in high school but by the time I got my own computer there was already lots of commercial software and all of the programmers I met were working in more advanced languages like C or straight up assembly. If I could go back in time I'd try harder to learn to program in the 80s.  ;)