• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20150730 - John Dvorak - Life Beyond Earth - Live Chat Thread

Started by MV/Liberace!, July 30, 2015, 09:57:29 PM

PathoJen

Quote from: Stephen on July 30, 2015, 10:22:22 PM
thought my house was coming down in 94 during the northridge quake, and I was near the beach in west l.a., twenty+ miles away...  I was sure it was the north end of the long beach fault (less than half a mile away)...
It was ridiculous.

PathoJen

Quote from: chefist on July 30, 2015, 10:20:17 PM
thanks Star! feels like the doc just kicked me really hard in my manhood!  :o
What's wrong w Chefist

nbirnes

Quote from: Herbn-Legend on July 30, 2015, 10:23:05 PM
We had a documented earthquake ova 11.0 people were thrown 6ft in2 the air a crashed down az the earth went up. Happnd in the 1800z

People told us when we moved to California that no matter how bad it seems, if you're still aware during the shaking, you will survive. That, plus the Triangle of Life, seemed to give hope.

Quote from: Noorynoid on July 30, 2015, 10:23:32 PM
California is long overdue for a really big quake. The reason I refuse to live in San Francisco or anywhere along major fault lines. I have emergency supplies ready, mostly water and food.

Well all we can hope for is the epicenter to be right in Hollywood.. no more lousy moves lol.

Spinner

There's nothing like experiencing a strong earthquake in a high rise rise building.
The building just keeps swaying, swaying, swaying, for 20~30 minutes. Sort of like being on a boat.

Stephen

Quote from: PathoJen on July 30, 2015, 10:24:09 PM
It was ridiculous.
truly... I really dread the big one... it will be serious destruction... to crazy to think about... fear...

PathoJen

I am always afraid that if I listen to people discuss this subject that the subject they are talking about is going to come to fruition immediately after discussion takes place. I'm very superstitious like that.

Herbn-Legend

Quote from: nbirnes on July 30, 2015, 10:25:59 PM
People told us when we moved to California that no matter how bad it seems, if you're still aware during the shaking, you will survive. That, plus the Triangle of Life, seemed to give hope.
wel people an animals wer wiped out here. 8.0 iz 10x stronger then a 7.0 an a 9.0 iz 100x stronger then a 7.0. A 10+ WE LUCKY IF WE SURVIVE

AppealPlay

I'm never been in a terrible earthquake.  The biggest I've ever experienced is the Mineral quake which was a 5.8 and it was too bad (I did lose one of my favorite coffee mugs, though).

Hautex

Just in case, bought one of the old style phones that will work by only being logged in to the phone jack, no power needed. Like the old "princess" style phone, and also printed out my contact phone numbers, since they were all only available with the use of electricity. Who else has done this?

Noorynoid

Quote from: boilingpitsofsewage on July 30, 2015, 10:26:30 PM
Well all we can hope for is the epicenter to be right in Hollywood.. no more lousy moves lol.

A big quake in California is safe bet. I've been through a few small ones in the bay area in years past but nothing to write home about. It's coming, I can feel it in my bones and my bones ain't never lied.

starrmtn001

Quote from: PathoJen on July 30, 2015, 10:29:05 PM
I am always afraid that if I listen to people discuss this subject that the subject they are talking about is going to come to fruition immediately after discussion takes place. I'm very superstitious like that.
Really?  So, you won the mega lottery eh?  Good on ya PathoJen! ;) ;D

chefist

Quote from: PathoJen on July 30, 2015, 10:29:05 PM

i worry for california...hope they are all prepared..

PathoJen

Quote from: Stephen on July 30, 2015, 10:28:53 PM
truly... I really dread the big one... it will be serious destruction... to crazy to think about... fear...
Me too. However, Southern California and the Bay Area have retrofitted a lot of the older buildings and freeway overpasses etc, so it might hold up ok. An earthquake hitting some random state that is not prepared for it, is where the most damage will happen. I live in denial, I'm happier that way.

Wednesday

Hi

I'm a Time Traveler and have been having a lot of fun reading Bellgab since Art returned. Also, 2 nights ago, hearing RCH.

I live near downtown San Francisco. I'm one of the hundreds of members who've joined SF's Neighborhood Emergency Response Team and have been for over 7 years. We've been trained to take care of ourselves after a major disaster because the SF Fire Dept. thinks stocking up and preparing for self-sufficiency for 72 hours is just not enough. Think 5 days. The Earthquake Go bag is nothing to take lightly.

Herbn-Legend

A big 1 wil hav world wide repercussionz, sunami an changing the rotation of the earth is the real problem with a BIG 1😔

GeoNemesis

Minor thunderstorms right over Art and the stream hasn't suffered yet! Got my Weatherspark on Las Vegas and home... 

(Home is many miles from those faults - closer to the New Madrid than the western faults, but still safe enough away)

Pumamama

My concern after the big one, assuming I survive, will be the tumultuous mass exodus in the following days.

grew up in HMB, ca. Once came home from school after an earthquake and a salt water fishtank had fallen over, fish all lost. sucked to be the first home to see the carnage.

chefist

Quote from: Wednesday on July 30, 2015, 10:31:26 PM
Hi

I'm a Time Traveler and have been having a lot of fun reading Bellgab since Art returned. Also, 2 nights ago, hearing RCH.

I live near downtown San Francisco. I'm one of the hundreds of members who've joined SF's Neighborhood Emergency Response Team and have been for over 7 years. We've been trained to take care of ourselves after a major disaster because the SF Fire Dept. thinks stocking up and preparing for self-sufficiency for 72 hours is just not enough. Think 5 days. The Earthquake Go bag is nothing to take lightly.

call Art!!!