• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20150826 - Marcus Hutter, A.I. - Live Chat Thread

Started by MV/Liberace!, August 26, 2015, 09:49:15 PM

trostol

Quote from: ShayP on August 26, 2015, 11:39:01 PM
I was thinking the exact same thing man!  wow.  I dig their version of Lady gaga's Poker Face too.

lol didnt know they did that

IF you can master memories, then we will master AI. Memories maybe all we have, and each other maybe where we store them. NO AI absent of all, just information without context and or relationship.

Dr_Blue

Quote from: AL5J on August 26, 2015, 11:33:19 PM
Was that your TimeTraveler msg he answered? If so, well done!!!
No, just a lucky guess.

Spinner

Very interesting show tonight. I had never heard Mr. Hutter before, and I'm truly enjoying the conversation.

I'd like to hear more like this.  :)

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on August 26, 2015, 11:30:12 PM
It is, but look, we're going to need one hell of a computer for superintelligent AI. At this stage, we can't even look at a "quantum computer" and agree that it's actually a quantum computer. Yet we can have paralyzed people operate robotic arms through a brain/computer interface.

My point is that it is humans who program the computers.  But there are probably only a handful of humans who can program the highest levels of AI in the world.  Maybe there are 20 people on Earth who can work at the required level.  And they obviously would work for organizations like DARPA.  i.e. Military.  The military gets first crack at everything, as we all know.

So they develop those supercomputers, robots and AI and they're doing it, as I stated, as a representation of themselves.  In other words, a program is nothing but a representation of a programmer.  That's the way it is and that's the way it's always been.

Those programmers are elite to an absolutely extreme level.  Only they know exactly what it takes to create those insanely high levels of artificial intelligence.  It's a representation of what's going on in their minds, but when they harness processors and robotics to physically extend themselves using advanced technology, look out.

The AI wins.  It wins by virtue of the fact that it's advancing WAY past the average member of the human race.  Its creators made it so.

The thing people need to watch out for is the technology getting into the wrong hands.  Skynet is unrealistic.  But governments using AI to control the human race is absolutely, 100% ...  possible.

ShayP

Quote from: trostol on August 26, 2015, 11:41:45 PM
lol didnt know they did that

i don't think it's on an album but they performed it live.  You can see it on the YouTube.  i think it's pretty sweet.

Robert

Quote from: zeebo on August 26, 2015, 11:39:49 PMGreat book.  There's a line where he says he didn't used to believe in such things, until he "met a computer with a sense of humor".
Yes, that was a great insight as to a demonstration of self-awareness or at least awareness.  In general, affect (or emotion if appropriate output is available) has been taken by philosophers as a sufficient demonstration of awareness.

Hawking would have to have others that would seem capable of interacting with him, not just his memories of them but their interactions and their memories as well.

GeoNemesis

Quote from: trostol on August 26, 2015, 11:27:07 PM
hmm..i might have to go watch Sarah Conner Chronicles now..didnt know the singer from Garbage was in it

Excellent show! Better than any of the movies IMHO. Just maybe a little bit hard to get past the suspension of disbelief that a terminator the size and shape of Summer Glau can toss around another terminator closer to the size and shape of Arnold...

Still, great performances by the actors and an extremely compelling story arc.

JamesMcDonald

I am kind of looking forward to the sexbots.   8)

zeebo

Quote from: Spinner on August 26, 2015, 11:42:34 PM
Very interesting show tonight. I had never heard Mr. Hutter before, and I'm truly enjoying the conversation.

I'd like to hear more like this.  :)

+1 ... great stuff tonite.

inuk2600

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on August 26, 2015, 11:39:51 PM
I'm not so sure. Definitely the brain is messy, but it's also really good at training itself to do things. Whereas AI will only get messier from here on out. Messy may well mean "conscious".

With the brain or rather conciousness, you're starting with no solid baseline, and many orders of complexity. Evolution built us a convoluted mess. AI is already progressing quickly.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on August 26, 2015, 11:42:48 PM
My point is that it is humans who program the computers.  But there are probably only a handful of humans who can program the highest levels of AI in the world.  Maybe there are 20 people on Earth who can work at the required level.  And they obviously would work for organizations like DARPA.  i.e. Military.  The military gets first crack at everything, as we all know.

So they develop those supercomputers, robots and AI and they're doing it, as I stated, as a representation of themselves.  In other words, a program is nothing but a representation of a programmer.  That's the way it is and that's the way it's always been.

Those programmers are elite to an absolutely extreme level.  Only they know exactly what it takes to create those insanely high levels of artificial intelligence.  It's a representation of what's going on in their minds, but when they harness processors and robotics to physically extend themselves using advanced technology, look out.

The AI wins.  It wins by virtue of the fact that it's advancing past the average member of the human race.

The thing people need to watch out for is the technology getting into the wrong hands.  Skynet is unrealistic.  But governments using AI to control the human race is absolutely, 100% ...  possible.

I think it would depend on what approach is taken towards programming the AI. If it's a code that's written, then absolutely, the programmer will be reflected by the AI. But if it's a learning machine that's aware of it's surroundings it would be more like a human baby, it would reflect in some way the characteristics of the people it is exposed to. However, there is a wildcard. Such a computer would have access to absolute, flawless logic. What effect that has on behavior is hard to imagine. Mr. Spock on steroids.

I'd be more worried about human-internet connections. If we connect our brains to the internet through technology, who says we can't be programmed or hacked?

WanagoBleu

Quote from: Herbn-Legend on August 26, 2015, 11:11:25 PM
WEBPAGE NOT AVAILABLE @BELLGAB.COM geeeez alnite all i see
me too. Haven't been able to log on for an hour.

alienated

Quote from: PrairieGhost on August 26, 2015, 11:46:33 PM
How so?

The layout isn't displaying properly, everything is in 1 column justified to the left.

The avatar's used to be beside the posts.

Dr_Blue

Quote from: WanagoBleu on August 26, 2015, 11:48:05 PM
Ya, I was bumped off earlier but got back on.

JoeStrong

the robot body will be ready soon.
The quantum computer will not be small enough for a while after that.
Then,,,,
after we all upload ourselves into the robot body's
with the quantum computers
the sun will send out a EMF and kill all non humans.

Noorynoid

Quote from: WanagoBleu on August 26, 2015, 11:48:05 PM

I'm still waiting at the door, please open it, the pizza is getting cold thank you.

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on August 26, 2015, 11:47:55 PM
I'd be more worried about human-internet connections. If we connect our brains to the internet through technology, who says we can't be programmed or hacked?

Yes, that's one of the things I'm warning about.  That's what people like Ray Kurzweil are saying we should embrace.

But the dangers extend past that.  Just look at the videos of the DARPA robots.  With that kind of technology, controlling the population will be a breeze.  Do we really want the government to leverage that kind of overwhelming technology to gain a totalitarian control over society?

If someone is okay with that notion, they're insane or stupid.

WanagoBleu

Quote from: alienated on August 26, 2015, 11:48:56 PM
The layout isn't displaying properly, everything is in 1 column justified to the left.

I just keep getting Timed out, have to leave BG, then come back.

Meister_000

Quote from: alienated on August 26, 2015, 11:48:56 PM

Refresh. Server has been bogging down.

Robert

Quote from: Robert on August 26, 2015, 11:44:00 PMYes, that was a great insight as to a demonstration of self-awareness or at least awareness.  In general, affect (or emotion if appropriate output is available) has been taken by philosophers as a sufficient demonstration of awareness.
Later, in The Number of the Beast, Heinlein cleverly ducks the issue, whereby better programming of an existing device made it seem more "alive" to the reader.  But are we to believe -- or do the characters believe -- the reprogramming has made the device aware, or simply that it is a more lifelike simulation?  Don't take their actions toward Gay Deceiver as definitive, because I talk to my stuffed wolf in other people's presence too.

WanagoBleu

Quote from: Noorynoid on August 26, 2015, 11:49:51 PM
I'm still waiting at the door, please open it, the pizza is getting cold thank you.
opened now. Pull up a chair and a beer! Thx for the pizza!

Juan Cena

The downloading of consciousness brings the concept of consciousness as possibly being a state of matter again. Art definitely needs to interview Max Tegman.

Meister_000

Quote from: alienated on August 26, 2015, 11:43:40 PM
This place looks different tonight.

There's also much less Rosegirl tonight -- always a good thing!