• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20150812 - Open Lines - Live Chat Thread

Started by MV/Liberace!, August 12, 2015, 09:56:13 PM

chefist

Quote from: wr250 on August 13, 2015, 10:19:46 AM
just lissenin now. glad we are vaguely lovable still. but just vaguely.

Is it me or can you hear in Art's voice that the "vaguely lovable" part is getting harder for him to say? I hope he just doesn't focus on the negative aspects of certain comments made on BG...

albrecht

Quote from: chefist on August 13, 2015, 10:22:44 AM
Is it me or can you hear in Art's voice that the "vaguely lovable" part is getting harder for him to say? I hope he just doesn't focus on the negative aspects of certain comments made on BG...
I got that vibe also.

Juicy80

About the guy who said he was born 17 hours in the future, I think he got it backwards. He would have to be 17 hours in the past to "fix" things

Uncle Duke

Quote from: SredniVashtar on August 13, 2015, 10:21:35 AM
Yes, I don't think we can blame Dave for starting the doom-mongering stuff, it has always been a favourite theme of Art's. He doesn't have a lot of time for conspiracy theories, as a rule, but anything that smacks of the end of the world is like catnip to him.

Over the years whenever a C2C guest would predict the end of the world (or just about any significant event) on a specific date, I would dutifully record that date/event at both home and office.  After a while, the wife got used to seeing things like "second coming" or "first contact" on our family whiteboard calendar, but such annotations on my similar but larger office whiteboard calendar tended to evoke interesting reactions from subordinates and superiors alike.  Funniest reaction was from an older female financial management type who noticed I'd crossed out "world ends" and then written  "delayed until (date)" after Harold Camping revised his projected end date after he missed it initially.  She didn't say anything, but did seem out of sorts as we reviewed calendar driven milestones related to fund allocations/commitments.

I think Art sounded a tinge irritable in general last night.  He also wasn't getting the nuances of the time traveller calls.  Might have just been a bad night, or perhaps he was enduring worse-than-usual back pain.

Quote from: Juicy80 on August 13, 2015, 10:27:49 AM
About the guy who said he was born 17 hours in the future, I think he got it backwards. He would have to be 17 hours in the past to "fix" things

Yeah I didn't quite get how he was in the future and the present at the same time.

albrecht

Quote from: Uncle Duke on August 13, 2015, 12:30:58 PM
Over the years whenever a C2C guest would predict the end of the world (or just about any significant event) on a specific date, I would dutifully record that date/event at both home and office.  After a while, the wife got used to seeing things like "second coming" or "first contact" on our family whiteboard calendar, but such annotations on a similar but larger office whiteboard calendar tended to evoke interesting reactions from subordinates and superiors alike.  Funniest reaction was from an older female financial management type who noticed I'd crossed out "world ends" and then written  "delayed until (date)" after Harold Camping revised his projected end date after he missed it initially.  She didn't say anything, but did seem out of sorts as we reviewed calendar driven milestones related to fund allocations/commitments.
Haha. I'm sure some eyebrows were raised. I would've thought that with technology and ease of recording that it would be harder for the "end is nigh" types, psychics, and conspiracy nuts to gain believers since past "predictions" are easily seen to be proven false, but it would seem things like the internet and radio actually make it easier.

I hope Art does his New Year prediction show and then "evaluates" the predictions next year.

cosmic asgard

Quote from: Juicy80 on August 13, 2015, 10:27:49 AM

I was thinking the same thing.

chefist

Art was so funny saying that other talk show hosts can put you to sleep through their hypnotic tone...he often makes these subtle references to Snoory...LOL

TigerLily

Quote from: chefist on August 13, 2015, 03:22:41 PM
Art was so funny saying that other talk show hosts can put you to sleep through their hypnotic tone...he often makes these subtle references to Snoory...LOL

^This!  I caught that too!  ;D

albrecht

I love the 3rd Phase of Moon callers  :o and caller in general who don't know they are on with Art. I actually like this with any show. In my FEMA Region VI there is an FM/AM station owned by same company and call letters. One plays rock and has "morning show" where hosts are more leftists and/or rocker/stoner orientated and the other is talk, generally "rightwing" or libertarian. And when callers call the wrong line the hosts almost mess with them. Comedy gold (on both sides.)

zeebo

It sounds to me like he's got some reservations about sending the general public here, who might expect a more tame environment.  He's probably wise to caution them. 

zeebo

Quote from: ZomZom on August 13, 2015, 09:27:00 AM
....As for Basiago--shouldn't a time traveler have known that Art would cancel the show due to his poor audio connections?...

I think I made a similar comment but then realized, according to him, that he hasn't been in the time-travelin' program for many years. 

Anyway I hope he gets rescheduled at some point, I always end up listening to his stories, I can't help myself.

SredniVashtar

Am I  the only who who has been listening to Art going on about this September stuff and thought, 'oh fuck, he's only done a handful of shows and he's already betting on the end of the world to come and break his gig up'. He probably fears retaliation from a group of crack paramilitary Bellgabbers (well, Paladin mostly) if he just ups and quits again, and thinks that an asteroid in the next few weeks might be pretty sweet.

Or is that just me being vaguely loveable?

Juan Cena

Sounds like Art's potential rekindling of the Korean War has been settled diplomatically.

http://news.yahoo.com/seoul-says-north-south-korea-crisis-talks-ended-163545520.html

No real shocker here. South Korea has no real desire for reunification with the North. It doesn't want to endure the economic stress Germany underwent when East & West Germany unified.