• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Keurig Machines

Started by Wintermute, February 19, 2015, 10:50:38 AM

Wintermute

I understand the convenience factor. I also understand the techno-vanity factor. Beyond the expense and wastefulness, the final product is what gets me.

100% honest, I think they make sh!tty coffee. I don't care what kind of freeze-dried k-cup is used, I have never had anything more than an "average" cup of coffee from those things. Our boardrooms have Keurigs in them so I've used them a fair amount over the past 4-5 years. Trader Joe's freeze-dried packets are better than k-cup coffees and that isn't saying much.

Someone help me on this one.

Gd5150

$125lb for Keurig coffee beans. $150-$250 for the machine. Great deal! It takes 2 kcups to make a normal cup of coffee, and yeah, it doesn't taste that good.

12cup coffee maker from Target/Walmart can easily be had for $15. Much higher quality beans can be bought at Costco for under $5lb. 1 biodegradable paper filter is about 1 cent.

The success of the Keurig at this time of a perpetual economic recession, the movement to recycle and pollute less, is truly astonishing.

I have a Keurig at my office for convenience. It makes a fair cup of coffee. At home, I grind my beans and use a French press, which, in my opinion, produces the best cup of coffee.

MV/Liberace!

i'm also reading that there are some lovely chemicals that leach out of the plastic keurig cups as the coffee is brewing.  lovely.  and the insides of the machine are a bacteria farm.

Grov505th

My wife doesn't drink coffee, so she got me one for Christmas a couple of years ago.  I love the thing,  but like the Beastie Boys song goes...I drink a coffee with my sugar and cream.
The company also got us one for use in Afghanistan. I do like the convenience of making enough to fill a travel mug to use on the airplane.
The only bad thing I have heard is mold and other things in the water heater part.

b_dubb

I have a small drip coffee maker (4 cups). It brews pretty quickly. I grind my own beans. It takes a few more minutes than the Kuerig but there's no plastic waste, my brewed coffee is superior and no toxins from heated plastics.

Why do people buy Keurig? Why do people listen to George Noory?

ACE of CLUBS

Quote from: FightTheFuture on February 19, 2015, 11:21:34 AM
At home, I grind my beans and use a French press, which, in my opinion, produces the best cup of coffee.

French press here too ...... Turkish grind (like flour) ....... distilled water, press very slowly, Demerara sugar, 18% table cream .... enjoy!

Heather Wade

I've read those things grow mold.  Gross.  Coffee is serious business, if I get mold in my morning cup, someone's going to get hurt.  The rest of the day won't go stellar, either.

Got a little espresso machine for 30 or 40 bucks, milk & coffee costs negligible.  Every morning my cappuccino puts Starbucks to shame.  Good coffee from the push of a button?  They say if it seems to good to be true, well...

Quote from: ACE of CLUBS on February 21, 2015, 08:48:15 PM
French press here too ...... Turkish grind (like flour) ....... distilled water, press very slowly, Demerara sugar, 18% table cream .... enjoy!

Can't go wrong with the French press! 

The General

Quote from: (Redacted) on February 21, 2015, 09:45:59 PM
I've read those things grow mold.  Gross.  Coffee is serious business, if I get mold in my morning cup, someone's going to get hurt.  The rest of the day won't go stellar, either.

Got a little espresso machine for 30 or 40 bucks, milk & coffee costs negligible.  Every morning my cappuccino puts Starbucks to shame.  Good coffee from the push of a button?  They say if it seems to good to be true, well...

Can't go wrong with the French press! 

Coffee IS serious dangit.  Almost as serious as moon colonization.
I just can't do coffee makers.  They all impart weird flavors.
I do pour over single cup, or an old school stainless steel perc.
If I'm feeling REAL fancy, I'll bust out the french press, but not often.
I like how this thread is turning into "how do you brew coffee?"

Quote from: The General on February 21, 2015, 10:16:13 PM
For a sec I thought it was the First World Problems thread.

The General

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on February 21, 2015, 10:28:51 PM
For a sec I thought it was the First World Problems thread.
It's not?

albrecht

Call me lazy, call me cheap but I like Nescafe instant coffee. (Anyone recall the awful Nescafe product that would warm you a milky coffee using a Guiness-like element that stirred and heated up the brew in a can when you popped the tab? It was awful tasting but a decent gimmick.) Ok, the Nespresso device is damn good but instant coffee is my mainstay. It also seems so high-tech, though retro I guess. Like Tang. The future is past.

SredniVashtar

Quote from: The General on February 21, 2015, 10:16:13 PM

I bought a stove-top coffee maker for pennies and have never regretted it. Dirt cheap. I used to work with someone who was fond (over fond) of saying that he liked his coffee the way he liked his women, 'hot, black, and strong', and the stove top is certainly for people who like the fuller flavour. The only time I have had better coffee was when I was in a solicitor's office. The bastards were trying to screw me with their fees and we sat there yelling at each other, but couldn't help thinking that they do make excellent coffee. That's probably why they charged so much.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: albrecht on February 22, 2015, 12:18:12 AM
Call me lazy, call me cheap but I like Nescafe instant coffee.

yeeeees.  nescafe with some milk and sugar... oooh yeah.

Juan

Instant coffee, a little Vitamin C and some Arm and Hammer Washing soda make a fine film developer.

Kelt

Instant coffee for me.

No interest in dicking around with apparatus just to get a cup of coffee.  Didn't see Marines or Cowboys tooling around with gay-ass Espresso Machines or Latte-Making-Devices.  Just throw some grounds in some boiling water and tip it down their throats before blowing the head off a Jap or slaughtering some Apache women and children to make way for a railroad.

You know who would have used a Keurig?

Adolf Hitler.

albrecht

Quote from: Kelt on February 22, 2015, 06:55:55 PM
Instant coffee for me.

No interest in dicking around with apparatus just to get a cup of coffee.  Didn't see Marines or Cowboys tooling around with gay-ass Espresso Machines or Latte-Making-Devices.  Just throw some grounds in some boiling water and tip it down their throats before blowing the head off a Jap or slaughtering some Apache women and children to make way for a railroad.

You know who would have used a Keurig?

Adolf Hitler.
Anybody had any older types who used egg shells to "clarify" coffee? Or was that just a Nordic deal? It helps keep the grounds down in the pot when making coffee the cowboy way you mentioned.
ps: "of course"as Norry would say, some of those folks in that era also used to crack an egg in their morning beer so maybe it was just an egg thing back then? I don't know.

popple

Found this in the discount bin @ Dollar World

WARNING: THIS STUFF GETS HOT!

Quick Karl

I always make my French roast in a Melitta pour over - makes perfect coffee every time, and I put the money saved into MY pocket. Fuck the Joneses.

Quote from: albrecht on February 22, 2015, 07:20:49 PM
Anybody had any older types who used egg shells to "clarify" coffee? Or was that just a Nordic deal? It helps keep the grounds down in the pot when making coffee the cowboy way you mentioned.
ps: "of course"as Norry would say, some of those folks in that era also used to crack an egg in their morning beer so maybe it was just an egg thing back then? I don't know.

My local big leaf maple syrup producers recommend using an egg to clarify the syrup before it's put on display for a competition.

Anyone roast their own beans?

HorrorRetro

I recently won a brand new Keurig in a contest for Seattle's Best coffee. I use it daily, but I use the refillable little cup with Seattle's Best Level 5 coffee. I whip up some whole milk or half & half and add some nutmeg on top. It's quite nice.

zeebo

I don't get it.  What's so hard about a drip machine - just add ground coffee, water, and press On.  As Americans we seem to have a need to invent things that are more expenstive, complicated solutions to things that are already cheap and easy, but seem better somehow.  This is where things like egg-slicers and sandwich-makers come from.  More power to those gadget makers' capitilist spirit, but we do not always have to bite!  (That said, whoever invented frozen burritos deserves a Nobel Prize.)

Nick el Ass

Mr. Coffee was good to me, but my doctor told me to stop drinking coffee because of a heart issue. I never drink soda so no caffeine for this guy... but I love the smell.

Quick Karl

Quote from: zeebo on May 15, 2015, 11:29:23 PM
I don't get it.  What's so hard about a drip machine - just add ground coffee, water, and press On.  As Americans we seem to have a need to invent things that are more expenstive, complicated solutions to things that are already cheap and easy, but seem better somehow.  This is where things like egg-slicers and sandwich-makers come from.  More power to those gadget makers' capitilist spirit, but we do not always have to bite!  (That said, whoever invented frozen burritos deserves a Nobel Prize.)

For the true Capitalism that the Founders contemplated to work, requires common sense.

HorrorRetro

Quote from: zeebo on May 15, 2015, 11:29:23 PM
I don't get it.  What's so hard about a drip machine - just add ground coffee, water, and press On. 

I don't like regular coffee makers because I don't like the taste of coffee that sits in the pot. It either tastes burnt or just blah. I like the Keurig because I get a fresh cup every time.

chinaclipper

but What brand of coffee exactly is best??